cross member

Hi i need to replace my front cross member can i just bolt it in place with extra bolts instead of welding it ? and would it pass a m.o.t.

ash

Wow! What a great guide! Well worth joining the club for! LOL! (Modesty!)

You can't fail an MOT if you just bolt it on but the crossmember is welded on for a reason.
It connects the chassis legs and gearbox support member together. The parts aren't particularly strong on their own but when welded together they are.

Put simply, if the car functioned the same with the crossmember just bolted in why would Nissan bother buying expensive robots to weld it in?!

Even if you fit the new one yourself and run it round to your local friendly garage and have them weld it in, they shouldn't charge too much as most of the labour time is spent removing the old one and putting everything together again.

The xmember is no on the mot due to it not being within 30cms of any suspension component. The most they can do is put it on as an advisary.

Unless you have power steering, in which case the cooler pipe is mounted onto it. Then it becomes a prescribed area for the steering.

The odd hole is ok but if the engine support crossmember mount is broken the tester can fail it because the engine and gearbox falling down would affect the steering or brakes.

If the area round the bonnet catch support is broken away and the bonnet doesn't close fully the tester can fail it too as the bonnet flying up would affect the drivers view of the road.

If the crossmember is so bad the bumper is loose it can fail too.

A badly corroded crossmember can affect the headlamp alignment or security, fail too.

Finally, if there are corroded bits hanging down the tester can fail it for having projections likely to injure other road users.

So, the micra can pass but only if the holes are small!

Another thing to consider is if the Police pull you over and they notice they can slap a prohibition notice on your car. The police check your car under the construction and use laws rather than the MOT basic safety check. So things like a holed crossmember, bad boy exhaust or loose battery may pass an MOT but the Police can put you off the road for them!

Besides, do you really want to drive about with a manky, holed old crossmember? Risking other damage, loosing your radiator and significantly weakening your car?

cheers, fitted it over the weekend it took just over 7 hours:doh: the old was falling apart as it was being pulled apart, it was a job that was well over due to be done :grinning:

ash

I got quoted £240 supply and fitted for a front cros member :). But i think i can get the price slightly lowered!

After that, i will underseal the whole car for a peace of mind.

Ming

Back