*sigh* cross member...

Well my trusty little K11 of ten years service has failed an MOT on a rusty front cross member and I've just had to SORN it while I look at repairing it myself.

But I don't really know how.

I know I can buy both lower cross members and full radiator support panels. However, I don't know one end of a welder from the other. If I get the whole radiator support panel, can the part be replaced by unbolting old and bolting on new, or is welding the only option?

Many thanks - sorry, I know this is a question that crops up a lot, but I couldn't find a specific answer before I start buying bits/tearing down the front of the car!

Well, after much drilling and metal cutting and swearing we've got the cross member off - and it really was rotten as a pear.

Unfortunately the bottom radiator support brackets are also looking pretty rotten - they're soaking in penetrating oil and hopefully I'll be able to reuse them.

However, I can't find these brackets for sale anywhere. Does anyone know where I can find them new, or will I have to find a local scrapyard?

Thanks for any help or tips!

Well, after much drilling and metal cutting and swearing we've got the cross member off - and it really was rotten as a pear.

Unfortunately the bottom radiator support brackets are also looking pretty rotten - they're soaking in penetrating oil and hopefully I'll be able to reuse them.

However, I can't find these brackets for sale anywhere. Does anyone know where I can find them new, or will I have to find a local scrapyard?

Thanks for any help or tips!

I'd of thought they'd be scrappy job or custom jobby

Well, after a month parked in a barn and doing bits to it when I got the chance, I managed to get my K11 through its MOT.

Thanks for all the help! This thread particularly was really useful: http://www.micra.org.uk/threads/front-crossmember.59630/

As for bolting it in place, we did a couple of MIG welds where the inner edges of the new cross member fitted underneath the existing bodywork, but just stuck to bolting the rest on. It was pretty solid.

However the MOT tester disagreed. First he said the member had to be seam welded on, but they agreed when I read out the MOT tester's manual to them, confirming that MIG plug welding was a sufficient substitute for spot welding, that it didn't need seam welding. He still maintained that we didn't do enough welding, but was decent enough to compromise by giving me a pass with an advisory: 'suspect front panel repair'... on the basis they couldn't see properly through all the waxoyl.

Whichever, my little hatchback's back on the road for winter. Seems pleasantly responsive and lively after clattering about in my gf's Fiesta dieseasel! Interestingly the steering seems a bit sharper, the hint of 'porpoising' which I thought was the front struts on their way out seems to have gone and now the bonnet shuts first time!

I think I might drill an extra hole in the bottom of the cross member to form a drain hole to stop water filling it up... any thoughts?

Anyway, thanks for the help!

ND

Back