cross member?

stokie1985

Ex. Club Member
Hi there guys/gals. I am thinking of buying a 1994 1.0 K11 with 11 months mot on her. The only slight problem is that one of the advisories on the mot were front cross member corroded. I know this is a common problem with micra's. I know its only an advisory, Do you think I would be ok driving her until the next mot and getting a new cross member fitted then, or do you think it would be ok for at least 6months? I really dont know much about this but I've been offered the micra for £325 which is a steal! Please let me know what you think and thanks for reading.

Ryan:)

Buy it, then replace the cross member, a lot can happen between mot's
The only thing is dude is I'm on abit of a budget at the moment and I have to be 6 months tax on her aswell. Do you think I would be ok for at least 3months until I had the extra cash to get a new one fitted?

Dont forget an advisory now doesnt mean its safe in 3 months time, buy it and replace it asap.
I might just have to leave getting her then because I dont have the funds to get a new cross member fitted just yet. I just thought she would be ok for at least 3 months until I had the money to get a new one fitted.

Without knowing exactly how bad the rust is no one on here will be able to give a good answer, personally I'd risk it for a month or two BUT that's me (not you)

Can you weld? or know someone who does? a new x member is only 30 odd quid, if you know some one who can, for the cost of a box of beer, its worth getting done. Trust me a promise of beer gets things done more than cash for some reason, well it does in my neck of the woods

Can you weld? or know someone who does? a new x member is only 30 odd quid, if you know some one who can, for the cost of a box of beer, its worth getting done. Trust me a promise of beer gets things done more than cash for some reason, well it does in my neck of the woods
I know a good mechanic who has fixed all my cars. If I can get a crossmember for around 30 then I think he would probably charge me 40 - 60 to fit it. Gonna facebook him now. Beer does alot! but my mechanic wouldnt accept it over glorious money!!!

Without knowing exactly how bad the rust is no one on here will be able to give a good answer, personally I'd risk it for a month or two BUT that's me (not you)
I think I might just get the car and risk it for a month. I should be ok driving her for a month. And then I'll just scrimp the money together and just cut back on shopping and going out.

Mine is pretty rough, as long as it passing MOT's I'm not at all worried about it, it'll get changed one day, probably when I'm forced to at MOT time.

I'm gonna buy a new cross member and my mechanic just said he'll fit it me for £50. I've seen a new cross member on ebay for
£20 but it aint an original. Do you think that will be any good? it looks ok, its just not an original from nissan. Let me know what you think. Thanks. Ryan.

Thanks mate,
Mine is pretty rough, as long as it passing MOT's I'm not at all worried about it, it'll get changed one day, probably when I'm forced to at MOT time.
thats reassured me abit. I gonna get the micra and get a new cross member fitted by my mechanic in the end of january.

Just bear in mind that the MOT tester has only "Advised" on your cross member. He must have been pretty sure it would be ok for at least 3 months after the Test date because you have 3 months to "Appeal" an MOT test for corrosion issues with Vosa.Hope this makes some sense :) ..

I had new cross member( cut old and welded new + painting )for 160 euro. Sligo, Ireland
Bumper and all mud guards, washer liquid tank removed and fitted back by myself.

Got mine from Euro car parts. Fitted perfect.

Took me a couple of hours. Drilling out the spot welds was the hardest bit.

the front cross member isn't MOT failable, and doesn't really do that much apart from hold the radiator, the other cross member that only stabilize's the engine. no real weight on it. i really wouldn't worry about it unless its pretty much fell apart

the front cross member isn't MOT failable, and doesn't really do that much apart from hold the radiator, the other cross member that only stabilize's the engine. no real weight on it. i really wouldn't worry about it unless its pretty much fell apart

The front cross member is a mot failure I've had 3 k11's and a bg 323 fail for it

Sorry chaps its 100% a failure. Just spoke to MOT tester at work and if its holed its a failure.

we are a nissan main dealer so see alot of micras, and we had a difference in opinions so we asked the ministry themselves, they said it was a pass and advise only, as it is not structural

100% right to pass & advise.. The K11 i've just brought I have tested for the last 4 yr's P&A every time as it makes no difference to steering or braking..

most testers will give a fail rather than advisory tho eh (rightly or wrongly) .
so i stand by my discretionary opinion :)

having been an MOT tester for years, (not going to say how many!!!) this has always been the case, too many grey areas and how one person interprets the pass and fail rules. They ministry will look at this in 2 ways, normally if unsure, you used to pass and advise it. However, from what i gather that has now changed to fail it, purely because everyone is scared of loosing their tester ticket or getting sued!
When they first bought in the 30cm rule it was chaos! Prior to that it was simple, ANY holed corrosion on structural areas (floors,sills, cross member etc etc) was a fail! Simple end of. Then all of a sudden you were passing cars with holes in the floor, because it was NOT within 30cm of seatbelt or suspension mounting points. 20 years later...................it's still clear as mud. The one i just bought has a hole in the crossmember, 2 MOT stations confirm it is NOT a failure as outside the 30cm rule. Yet, personally speaking, i'd say it was a failure!
I remember once being told by an inspector a few stories. One, that a rear number plate light had to work.....it did NOT have to be attached to the car, it could be hanging off, but as long as it shone white light to the front, it was fine, and 2, it didn't even had to light up the number plate!!!
I was also told that if you failed a car on a fuel leak, say tank had leak at the top, customer took car off premises, and in front of your eyes drained the tank down below the leak area, then still with you watching, presented it for retest, you would HAVE to pass it!!! this was all due to the rule 'as presented'. For many many years the construction and use regs, and the highway act and MOT rules have worked against each other.
You could very easily pass a car that was ok for the MOT, but was illegal to drive on the road................bloody madness!
But heh..................i remember when you never jacked up the back of the car, only checked minimal lights, (if they were fitted at all) and MOT's took about 15 minutes to do!!!! Showing my age i know!

Back