Cracked Manifold

I have a cracked exhaust manifold, managed to get another one to replace it, any tips on doing the swap? from google it seems the bolts can be a nightmare to remove, as on a tight budget goint to try and reuse the gasket

Any tips appreciated:blues:

if i was in that situation i would get a tap and die set and a screw extractor set in case that happens
cant say on the gasket though?

Get the car up to temperature and then when its hot, loosen the nuts on the studs, it will be much easier.

i,ve done a few :wasntme: and i hav,nt snapped a headbolt yet, but i,ve snapped a few of the 2 springloaded ones at the bottom of the cat :eek:
and the 3 x 10mm bolts that hold the shield on are usually rusted bad
mine has no gaskets, as long as the faces are cleaned properly a bit of gungum will seal the joints ok

Thanks for the replies, Frank do you mean its ok to use gungum where the mani attaches to the engine??

Re use the gasket if it's still intact, I've have loads on and off and never blown once!:)

I'd suggest spraying the first cat bolts with wd40 as the f00king tight

Same for downpipe bolts too

Good luck mate

Manifold bolts

well I managed to get manifold head bolts off, had put pb spray on for 3 days, one was already rounded off so beat a smaller socket on and did the trick, 2 of the bolts came out with the stud. As for the bolts joining cat to exhaust, think they are going to be a prob, didnt have enough leverage with my small wrench, so borrowing decent socket set today, and some ramps

Gasket seal

well both of the spring loaded bolts snapped and 1 on the cat....not too bad suppose, drilling them out was a pain as I dont have a vice and knackered a few drill bits in the process. There was no gasket between the manifold and engine just of a sort of silver colour silicon looking stuff, any ideas??

,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, a bit of gungum will seal the joints ok

that stuff should do you

Job Done

Completes the job seems to be OK, had to drill out the cat where the spring bolt goes through, as didnt have stud extractor, what a fiddle to get the nut on..............

Back