COIL TEST HELP PLEASE!

REMOVED MY DIZZY, DECIDED TO CHECHK COIL OUTPUTS SO RMOVED FRONT PLATE AND TWO BLUE LT WIRES AND BLACK HT, ON THE TWO LT WIRES I HAD OHMETER SET AT 200 AS THIS IS MIN STETTING AND ACCORDING TO MANUAL SUPPOSED TO READ 0.8 OHMS, I GOT 0, NOT A THING, WHEN I TESTED BLACK WIRE AND PUT LEADN ON THIS AND OTHER ON WHAT I BELIEVED TO BE POSITIVE(ONLY ONE THAT GAVE READING!) MULTIMETER WAS SET AT 20K OHMS AS SUPPOSED TO BE1.0K, IT DID JUST ABOUT STRUGGLE TO JUST UNDER 1, BUT WITH NO LT DO PEOPLE THINK COIL IS GONE??? GOTT NEW DIZZY ON WAY FROM BREAKER BUT THOUGHT ID TEST TO BE SURE AND FROM THESE RESULTS SEEMS THAT HT IS SLIGHTLY LOW AND LT NON EXISTANT, WOULD THIS BE THE REASON FOR NO SPARK DO YOU THINK?? THANKS BOYS AND GIRLS

Hey there, NO SHOUTING :D Was the ignition not working before you removed when the engine was running? Is there an issue, or are you just trying to test to recommended manufacturer specs?

sorry caps was on, it just failed a few days ago, no spark, tested all fuses, removed dizzy as heard this is a common problem, but whilst waiting for new one i replugged old one in, removing the 3 wires, 2 blue 1 black as haynes said and tested off the 2 blue wires for lt as directed in haynes, and black wire terminal and what i assume was positive blue teminal as directed in haynes as this was only one that gave readind, rotor arm removed but disc still in, dizzy plugged into wires and ignition on

haynes says nothing about touching rotor disc, i just though id check as id removed it and had no spark before whatsoever and was advised by about 6 people it was dizzy, so thought id test whils awaiting new one.

if it helps before removing dizzy it just failed and i had no spark or power of any sort,car would turn and not run after being parked for 4 hours in shopping car park, was fine before this ordered new dizzy, was just testing to be sure this coil is knackered. it worked then on return no spark, have tested all fuses and had every relay out which all look perfect, just no power to any of the 4 plugs

In the fsm it describes how to remove then turn the dizzy, then listen for the injectors clicking eh.
That would pinpoint if it was the optical sensor or coil circuit at fault
And i think you would need to access the coil to test the windings

update, new spare dizzy arrived, changed the whole unit, still turns but no spark??? what am i missing here, are there any relays, fuses or connectors i sholud test., i want to avoid an expensive trip to a garage if possible, it worked fine, then no spark, not with old or new dizzy??? all i did was turned it off!

have you tried the fsm test ? and i think the only relay for ign is the main ecu one (next to the fan one)

that test i was on about in the factory service manual (pdf download) where it tells you to pull the dizzy out and test for clicking from the injectors.
that will determine whether or not you have a cas signal .
and the 2 blue relays near the battery (ecu and fan) try a swap :)

just annoying, known this car 8 yrs, full history, 2 days before i get a full time job needing a car it goes, so i change dizzy, cap, rotor arm, all the things i thought might make no spark, but nothing!

downloading this pdf but its taking hours to go through, can anyone direct me to the piece i need to take distribuor of to test injectors for cas signal???? thanks

Back