External coil - how?

CMF_deNs

» CMF Member
Got myself an import CG13 last saturday and unfortunately during transit the dizzy cap has snapped right off with one of the leads, leaving me with a few options here.

I will call up the place that sold me it to see if they'll send me another as it came with a 3 month warranty. The other ways to go from here are that I could go with an external coil setup. At this stage i've found someone that will tune microtech ECUs and is happy to do mine, and I can grab a LT-10s and a couple of pairs of coils from microtech and somehow get that to work. I have very limited experience with ignition systems in general, especially when it comes to replacing the stock system on the CG13. I believe that the dizzy runs off a cam angle sensor which from the looks of it would be connected to a gear on the exhaust cam.

If the original dizzy/coil was replaced with the 4 external coils - what else would likely need to be done in order to make the system work with it?

I realise that questions like these are why I created the K11 wiki that's being built up at the moment (will show everyone when it's ready to be open to the public properly).

Cheers,
---dens

CMF_Sean

» CMF Member
My rotor disc was from an RB30, my Microtech was specific for an RB30...

Its pretty simple if you know what you're doing..

Speak to an auto electrician or a performance mechanic to find out more

Sean

CMF_sikK11

» CMF Member
yeah i get that alot. The whole you wanna do what to a micra.... WHY THE **** WOULD YOU.....

Piss off tis my car i wanna do it. You either wanna earn cash or not.

CMF_deNs

» CMF Member
So because the dizzy is considered an ancillary and was just "left on the engine", it's not covered under warranty (sadface). Only the long motor (i.e. bottom end up to the head) is under their warranty, which is unfortunate.

The question now is - can I swap the good dizzy from my UK CG13 to the jap engine? The dizzy on the jap one would've died eventually as it was a mitsubishi one, but it's a real shame as it was in such good condition except for that one snapped off bit. Which one of the distributors for the CG13 was really difficult to get a dizzy cap for?

I guess I could either swap over the dizzy if it's possible or keep looking into external coils. At this stage I'll probably shell out for an ECU like the Autronic as who knows what I might want to attach it to later on. May as well do things right the first time - just got to decide whether an SMC will suit my needs or if I need to look at an SM2 or SM4 (here's hoping I don't... my pockets might not be THAT deep haha!)

---dens

CMF_deNs

» CMF Member
I've got a chopped jap loom with the new jap engine, which means that I might have trouble swapping the UK dizzy over to it then :( Damn thing, why of all things did that have to break... Can't use the UK loom on that engine as far as i'm aware as all the sensors and whatnot are different so they need to be carried over.

---dens

CMF_deNs

» CMF Member
I don't intend to ever use the factory UK ecu and the only reason I can think of for hooking up the other loom is if I wanted to create an adaptor loom for standard loom to aftermarket ECU loom. Actually that wouldn't be a bad idea. Thinking about it, I don't particularly want to rip out the entire loom as it is now, so it might not be the best idea. Could just swap the dizzy, hook up sensors and use the UK loom and create an adaptor plug from the standard ECU to whereever. Anyone got a gutted K11 ECU I can use the ECU side plugs from? :D

Tell me though, how much of a pain is it to wire up the autronic? Which model were you working with?

---dens

CMF_deNs

» CMF Member
Found this from another thread about distributors:

Ed WROTE:

"If you cannot get a replacement then it is quite simple to convert the K11 to run an external coil driver.

This image:

<a href="http://www.fusion-motorsport.co.uk/images/k11dist/IMG_0965-1.jpg" title="http://www.fusion-motorsport.co.uk/images/k11dist/IMG_0965-1.jpg" target="_blank">http://www.fusion-motorsport.co.uk/images/k11dist/IMG_0965-1.jpg</a>

Shows the inside of the pickup in the distributor.

Blue area is the optical pickup. Red area is the ignition coil driver. The pink area within is the actual ignition driver transistor.

Anyway all you need to do is extend the spade terminal coil wire from the coil (the spade terminal is visible on the right). This needs to be taken outside the distributor. You also need a good earth from within the distributor. This you can take from one of the screw terminals that holds the ignition module in the distributor. These are then both taken outside. So you have the coil wire and an earth. You can see two pins going to the ignition side of the module shown in the image. With the cars ignition on, one of these will be showing 12v, the other will be 0v. The 0v one is the wire that goes to your ECU from the ignition output, this needs to be cut.

So what your left with now is a ground, the ignition trigger and the coil wire. Then its a case of getting an ignition driver such as one used on any Nissan with external coil, and wiring it in to these 3 wires. I'm not going to give it all away you can work out the rest. But this is to show that you don't need to keep to the driver that is built within the distributor.

Ed

I love the "you can work out the rest"... Sigh. I love sharing :p

---dens

CMF_deNs

» CMF Member
Wasn't there a bunch of other posts in here? Hmm, I generally thought out of courtesy if someone was to start culling posts in a thread that they would inform/warn people of the occurrence. Looks like a few have been edited too, what the hell?

Turbo, was that you or someone else that edited/removed all your posts?

Anyone?

---dens

CMF_deNs

» CMF Member
LonePhantom WROTE:

"Same thing happened in a thread I created. i think there might be some database glitches or something. Nothing untoward was said in my thread either, so I doubt it was moderated.

Wouldn't be the first time.. this place desperately needs to be moved to a better system.

---dens

i removed what i said above cause i've got the ****s with my posts being removed.. thought i was the only one.. however the other posts that we're here i didn't touch. i don't think anything really needs to be said, i think its pretty safe to say that this site runs itself.. and doesn't need to be moderated... i guess some like to feel important thou. i think most of us on here can take criticism/**** from everyone else, if it wasn't for that you wouldn't try and make something better then it already is, and it wouldn't be a forum would it.

CMF_deNs

» CMF Member
I totally agree. However if someone does have an issue with what was being said, if they don't speak up and explain why it was done, what's to prevent it happening again?

Now, back to the matter at hand - what's the Autronic setup you're working with and if you don't mind sharing (hehe..), how did you go about the ignition system and wiring side of things? I'm planning to make an adaptor loom to hook up the original UK wiring loom (with the plugs on the end) to a wiring harness which will be for the aftermarket ECU.

I'm having trouble getting the features of the autronic ECU's at the moment as their site isn't up (still!) which is making it hard for me to determine which one I should go for. I mean, the features of ECUs like the EMS and Microtech seem more than adequate, but there's so much more to consider like the ability to use it on other cars (i.e. unlike microtech) and the amount of people that will in fact tune the car for me.

---dens

chris is using a smc... a company up here have modified the distributor for us and are currently in the process of mounting a sync sensor to run of the flywheel.. after that's done i'll be bolting it all together on chris's car and be wiring it up.. i'll be making a brand new loom for it thou... stock loom looks ugly. to much useless **** on it.. making a new loom is the perfect opportunity to hide the wiring and run it where you want too.. new plugs to replace the crusty 12+ year old ones too.. so when its all hooked up and running.. i'll let you know! we'll be using 4x normal bosch coils with an external iginitor, i'll be going a smc4 with a 500r cdi (only because i want to run crazy boost).. that's why its taking so long to get the red car anywhere! the computer setup is gonna cost an arm and a leg.. and possible another arm:)

CMF_deNs

» CMF Member
Yeah, the idea of going head-first into working with an autronic and creating a complete new loom kinda scares me but it's definitely within my limits of possibility. Just will take a lot longer to get it going than I probably first hoped ;)

I'll probably look into getting a set of external coils just since the dizzy cap issue is a nice excuse to do so. Can you get the coils direct from Bosch?

Any chance of a picture diary of chris' setup when you're done with it?

Cheers man,

---dens

i can let you know how i go/what problems if any i run into.. not really into doing a picture diary thou.. comes down to the nothing's free, but more to the point,.. i don't want to be responsible for someone else ****in there car/ecu. you need to move to brisbane!

CMF_deNs

» CMF Member
life coach WROTE:

"Just to clarify, no posts have been deleted on the database? :S

I'm speaking to my old mechanic today actually and will see what he said he did for my old Micra.

Sean

Thanks for letting us know. Posts are definitely missing though, which is a concern.

Would love to hear how yours was set up - what ECU are you/were you running?

---dens

CMF_evade

» CMF Member
for my external coil setup we were going to use VN V6 coilpacks with EMS igniters.

damn if i know how it was going to be setup, it never eventuated..think it was to be a wasted spark setup using two double ended coilpacks

in fact that reminds me I paid for those igniters and never got them....

Back