clutch feels hard

Hi there,

The clutch on my K10 feels a bit hard. In the morning it feels ok and i can gear up and down like normal without any trouble but after a while the clutch feels a bit hard on the foot and sometimes i cannot get gears in. At one time in the evening I ended up putting my double hazdard warning lights on because i could not put the 1st gear stationary at the traffice lights.

I had a look under the bonnet and i noticed there is a nut by the clutch pulley lever. My understanding would that i need to adjust the clutch so that when i press it that the clutch is fully disengaged as at the moment it is not at times.

any one had this problem and have a recommendation?

thanks

Mani

Does the clutch pedal feel stiff to move or do you mean that it's hard to engage gears? the nut you refer to on the end of the clutch cable is for adjusting the free play. if there is a fair bit of sideways movement in the cable you need to tighten it up a bit. If the pedel is stiff i would suspect a frayed or seized clutch cable.

Or it could be the shaft in which the release bearing sits. Iv seen a few Kangoo's at work have this problem because they are being used on building sites an quarrys etc n the dust gets into where the bearing sits and it cant move so easily. Box out job if thats what it is - and your aswell replacing the clutch when the box is out.

ld50a.gif

This is quite a good picture - see the splined shaft - at the end is where the bearing sits and releases the clutch, that becomes covered in dust etc and the grease traps it all and siezes the bearing up.

hope this helps ya!

Daz :alien:

thanks for replying.

the clutch feels light in the morning when i go to work and gears go in easily without a problem but as soon as i reach my 40 miles to work the clutch starts to feel hard. Sometimes at stationary when i put the reverse gear in you hear the cogs in side engaging like they are rubbing against each other while turning - if you know what i mean :s but that does not happen when going forward using 1st,2nd,3th or 4th gears.

Like a grindy sound? Mine does that, but its best to put it in first before reverse and you dont usually get the noise. Happens on occasion but rarely.

I'm experiencing the same 'problems'. Seems like when the gearbox is heated up it's becoming a bit harder to shift gears.

As from all the micra's I've driven so far almost all the 5-boxes were a bit 'hard' to shift while the 4-boxes were much smoother.
Could be coincidence though.

what are the early signs of the clutch needing replacing and on average how many miles do they last? i have managed to clock up just over 10k miles in 9 months. My sister's clutch went on her car and she could not put the gears in so she couldn't go to work but i don't want to end up in that situation while driving.

Mani

your clutch will slip before its time to replace generally, when you drive up a hill or try to pull away quick it will rev, but wont go anywhere if you know what i mean.

Daz

Hi Amy,

you mentioned a about seized clutch cable on the 07-11-2006 05:21 PM. Could it be possible if you can tell me where it siezes along the cable. I was thinking if a spray of WD40 or some sort of lubricant oil will sort it out before I think about taking other steps.

Many Thanks.

Firstly i would remove the cable off the gearbox end and try sliding the inner part back and forth by hand to see if it is stiff or not. there will be some resistance as you will be moving the clutch pedal. If you want to oil it you can buy a special cable oiler, or you can put a small amount of oil in a clear plastic bag, bunch the open end of the bag around the end of the cable and attach it to the outer part of the cable with some tape or elastic band so that the inner part of the cable is inside the bag. Turn the bag and cable upside down so the oil runs to the end of the bag and into the cable. Get someone to help by pushing the clutch pedal to work the oil through the cable. be careful with how much oil you use, as too little wont get all the way through the cable, and too, much will spill through the end of the cable inside the car. Hope that nakes sense let me know if it doesn't.

Thanks Amy,

it sounds from your post that the cable is quite thick as it might be rubbing against its casing hence the seizing. If I remove it from the gearbox and attach it back how will I adjust the cable so that the clutch dis/engaged? do I adjust it, press the clutch down and see of the gears go in or is there a much simpler method?

Many thanks

Mani

You are supposed to adjust it so that there is a certain amount of free movement, i can't remember exactly how much. Just tighten the nut until it takes up all the slack out of the cable, make sure that the rubber bushes on the inner and outer cables are fully located in the stay then back the nut off a little (around 1 turn should do) so that there is a small amount of play.

your clutch will slip before its time to replace generally, when you drive up a hill or try to pull away quick it will rev, but wont go anywhere if you know what i mean.

Daz

Sadly...the clutch has started slipping on my dad's Micra. :(

Is it an engine out job or can it be replaced with the engine in situ?

If so we'll prolly buy one and fit it ourselves.

Steve

Sorry...I forgot to add that it's a K11. Still easy to do in situ?

I'm hoping somewhere like Nippon automotive or similar will do a clutch cheaper than Nissan.

Back