Clunking sound from brakes

Hi All

My 2002 K11 has a clunking sound coming from the front brakes, mostly the o/s/f caliper. It usually happens when I'm going slowly and apply the brakes lightly. I jacked the car up and gave the wheel a thump and I can actually hear the caliper rattling. I'm also getting quite bad brake squeal when driving along. As soon as I brake the squeal goes away.

Any help appreciated

Cheers

Take the wheel off and check the caliper bolts and the sliding pins - like Frank says, DON'T DRIVE IT til you've checked.

Thanks for the replys. I've checked that the slide bolts and carrier bracket bolts are secure and the car brakes evenly without any steering pull. I'm confidenet that it's not really a safety issue but it is really annoying. The problem seems worse since the last pad change (now has mintex pads).

I just nipped out and put the car on a hard lock and grabbed the caliper and found that I can move it a bit on it's slides and replicate the clunk noise so maybe the slides are worn. Anyone ever had that problem on one of these?

Cheers

George

i,ve never heard of slider problems george (especially on a late model k11) fwn
some of the post 2000 ones had vented discs, maybe the pad type was incorrect ?

check the pad retaining spring clips are not loose.
loose clips would:
*let the pads rattle about when cruising over bumps,
*cause a slight clunk when braking to a stop as the unrestrained pads are pushed forward during braking and then clunks back as the car springs backward when stopped,
*and cause the pads to squeal in one or both directions cause the unrestrained pads are allowed to vibrate freely at audiable frequencies.

if the clips are loose, bend them in slightly to hug the pads better till there's just about no more pad rattling but not too tight that the increased friction between the clip & pad prevents the pad from sliding back away from the disc when released and making the pads bind and drag = less economy, overheat brakes, distorted discs, uneven braking

Back