Cisco's Intentions

CMF_Family Hack

» CMF Member
Hey Cisco any closer to another car??
I think the Suzuki Swift Sports would be a good fit with you.
2 members now paddling around in them so more the merrier.
My extractors not far away and still trying to work out which rear muffler would be the best.
Also ordered the " sports" air induction system which will help it breath a bit better.

cisco

» CMF Member
Heh funny thread.

Hack, I certainly do admire your little Swift Sport. Its an awesome little car and I know I would love flinging one around..

But I just have to have a turbocharger. In a small car, I can't do without it any more. The Fairmont's stupid CC capacity means that it has sufficient torque without needing a turbo, but in a small car, you need the technology to give you the grunt.

I am more and more liking the Colt Type R. I am actually now seriously considering leasing one for 3 years.

The thing with leasing a company car is that you get heaps of tax benefits, you are spending it half with tax money that you normally would have paid to the government and got nothing for. I have compared "owning" the fairmont with "leasing" a Colt R. It actually works out slightly cheaper to lease a Colt R. Leasing a brand new WRX works out about the same as "owning" a Fairmont. Crazy huh, so makes sense to lease big time.

I just forked out $470 for new rear right central locking actuator for the Fairmont, two new keyring buttons (yeah they both broke) and the labour to do it. That's almost what you'd pay with real after tax money to lease something brand new around the colt's value. We also just paid $700 to service the ford. With a lease all the servicing is covered, you get a servicing card and a fuel card - no hassles. If anything unexpected breaks, then they fix it under warranty - no more to pay. Other costs associated with "owning" is that you own it with real cash. So if you sell that car, the real cash can be paid off your mortgage if you have one, saving you interest, or put in teh bank etc. It depreciates and you get less when you sell it. I think we bought the Fairmont at a good time so it won't depreciated too much now. We got it for an absolute bargain, actually I think I could sell it for $500 more than I paid for it, even still now with more Kms on the clock.

Older cars always need work. The window tinting will fade, something will break. Leasing means you constantly don't have to fork out for these random things.

Colt R CONS
- Trip Computer, OK I know it will be efficient on fuel anyway - no big deal.
- No reach adjustment. I since found out that hardly any small cars have this. I was dreaming to expect this in a small car. Even the EVO doesn't have this.
- Remote boot release. That's the only thing left to gripe about - nothing major though huh.
- Interior slightly plastic-ish. I will have to get over this and focus on all the leather, recaros and the awesome stylish gauges. It was a minor gripe anyway.

Colt R PROS
- Up to the minute technology. Electronic Power Steering, Electronic handling, electronic traction, torque sensing LSD. Mivec, turbo, intercooler.
- Up to the minute styling - it looks hot. Massive side flares/arches, 16" nice alloys, awesome projector lights front and rear, great stance. I love the front and rear.
- Sporty/driver's car interior. Recaros from EVO 8, leather knob, leather wheel, twin airbags with option for 4 airbags (I would get 4), little subtle ralliart badges around the gear knob and stuff like that. Awesome gauges.
- semi-auto climate control (i.e. knob that you wind to set degrees, not fully digital like the fairmont)
- AWESOME handling, everyone says this. It beat WRXs, porsches and stuff around a tight track in WA. Obviously it wouldn't on longer, taller tracks, but on tight stuff, it cains and is so cheap!
- Great price for all this.
- Rear seat folds back and forward for either more boot room, or more leg room for rear passengers.
- mp3 stereo standard. (I'd probably tinker again and put something nicer in one day though along with better speakers)
- AWESOME fuel economy for such a fast car. With something like an EVO, you're still burning a bit of fuel just to drive it around, its a guzzling 2 litre kinda thing. The colt is more modern and only a 1.5, hardly uses anything when you're not boosting.

- AHHHHH The Spooling of a small car.

I think I'm probably gunna push myself over the edge and do it maybe one time soon..

Of course, I would have to build a web site for Colt people to hang around at. But I was also thinking maybe about a more general small car performance kinda site.. There is so much action in this space in Australia now - so many hot cars coming out.. Why not make one site for all of the fans who like all the compact cars to hang out at.
E.g. Swifts, micras, colts, VW turbos, mazda MPS (although they are pretty fat, not really small any more), XR5 turbo, XR4 turbo (soon to be released, Astra turbo..

Actually I think the XR5 turbo and astra turbo are too big. I'd like to focus on the real compact ones. Swift, Colt, Honda Jazz, Micra, XR4 turbo etc. But I'm almost finished building another automotive kinda related web site lately. Its not a fan club/forums kind of thing, more of a service that I hope everyone will use. Users have already found it and its not even finished yet. But more work yet to be done. Man there are so many web sites to write!

CMF_Family Hack

» CMF Member
Agree with you Cisco re the Colt but the shape does nothing for me.
Be a sad world if we all had the same likes/dislikes.
Go for it Cisco and yes set up a site.I know what you mean about that turbo boost. Swifty unless it one day gets a turbo does not give you the same buzz as Hack when the turbo cuts in.

cisco

» CMF Member
Ahh its a tough call! Quite a few decisions in this country now re:decent small cars. Its a good fun time for us guys!

Yeah for sure, each to their own. I originally didn't like the rear of the colt, but now I like it. I also like the swift a lot.

Bah cars.

CMF_nz_aj

» CMF Member
What is the Australian top tax rate? I guess it's that which makes the leasing worthwhile.
Do you have to have some sort of business or be self employed in order to claim it off your pre tax income?

CMF_evade

» CMF Member
$0 – $25,000
29c for each $1

$25,001 – $75,000
$7,250 plus 30c for each $1 over $25,000

$75,001 – $150,000
$22,250 plus 40c for each $1 over $75,000

Over $150,000
$52,250 plus 45c for each $1 over $150,000

PS. RWD turbo! :) :)

cisco

» CMF Member
If you get a "novated lease", your employer can just offer it to you. You don't need anything special. It just works out differently depending on the tax bracket and yeah it might suit different people and their lifestyle differently etc.. But anyone can get a novated lease as long as their employer offers it. That's basically it..

CMF_Yom

» CMF Member
Personal opinion cisco bu I think you'd be nuts to put a mitsubishi on a novated lease without doing some number crunching with a few other options first (like the Mini Cooper which I know for a fact is an excellent value for money car on the lease plan my dad uses or the suzi swift which doesn't seem to know what the word depreciation means). They (mitsubishis) depreicate worse than nissans at the moment. I'd hate to see the colt's residual value after 2 or 3 years...

Even the EVO's are depreciating like there's no tomorrow (this happens when the grey imports come in I guess).

I mean its fantastic news for a second hand buyer but bad news for people who are buying new.

CMF_makes

» CMF Member
One great advantage of the Mitsubishi Colt Ralliart is that a five year warranty is included (rather than just three years from most manufacturers). I imagine this should help to keep resale values higher for longer ??.

I also like the Ralliart colt, it's a real "sleeper" because they don't look overly sporting but pack a real punch.

They actually have a fuel economy rating (6.7/100km) slightly better than a standard Swift, Barina, Fiesta etc. but is obviously much faster than them... Though I am sure if you are driving it hard economy will very quickly become very poor... ;).

In "Hot4s" magazine the reviewer wrote it was the best front wheel drive he had ever driven but he didn't like the look of it... I guess it's a matter of opinion but I think they actually look good (especially in white).

A compact car website is a great idea. I will definately join !.

CMF_Yom

» CMF Member
Mitsubishi's long warrenty isnt transferrable afaik!

It goes down to a standard 3yr/100,000km (whatever the car hits first) if you sell the vehicle.

Well it did when they first released the 5/10 warrenty thing they prout about anyway> They might have changed it as they did cop a bit of flack about it.

cisco

» CMF Member
Yeah you're right, new cars are a total rip off.

What we paid and got for the Fairmont is unbelievable, and its decked out with pretty reasonable technology, even though its 6 years old now.
Second hand is definitely the way to go, well you can even lease a second hand car. That's not a bad option, but its messier like no warranty and all that stuff etc. It has that check thing when you turn the key with the engine already on, a little light flashes and it doesn't throw the starter back into the rotating flywheel like the micra did heh.

Pftt I dunno. Yeah what about EVOs huh evade. Don't think I'd bother now.. A coupla reasons. Everyone on ralliart.com.au is whinging that most of them have crunchy second gears. Stuff that for a $60,000 vehicle. Also, they are really fast, but again its a bit like all that power like blue monster that you don't get to use all that much unless driving above 100kmh. You pay $60,000 (for a ripoff new one), pay big insurance, big everything and you can't fully use it all that much.

Or something like the colt is half the cost, half the power, but almost half the weight (well not really, but a fair bit lighter anyway) and it still feels AWESOME to drive in terms of performance and fun handling.. So I think you can really get the fun factor in a street car without needing an EVO because of the EVO's top end power and "status". Imagine parking a new-ish EVO anywhere and leaving it there overnight. You would be paranoid about it getting scratched, smashed, stolen. Pfft.

I think I'll think about it more.. No rush. I don't want some half baked piece of crap that has "drawbacks". The fairmont is a really awesome car in terms of features, smart, practical etc. It basically has no drawbacks except for being fat and heavy and uses up fuel. BUt the quality and design is really nice. I would not want some poverty pack compromise small car to give me the ****s again..

Hmm!

CMF_Yom

» CMF Member
You're only going to get dissapointed if you look under $30,000 in that case cisco. :( Although it would be a tough decision deciding on which plastics are better, the colt's or the falcon's lol... the au falcon interior quality is terrible compared to alot of new cars. But they really do have a crapload of features for the price.

All the stuff you seem to like in a car only starts becoming available in the next size up. XR5, 3 MPS, Golf GTI etc.

CMF_Family Hack

» CMF Member
THis is a great thread. Horses for courses I reckon. I could never own a big car. I feel so uncomfortable in them and so isolated from the outside but my foreman at work has a new Holden Dunnydore SS. That thing really flies and when you flick it into sports mode its like another car.A lot of car, goes hard, but gee fill her up and big hole in pocket.
Fun to drive but being a small car man get a bigger buzz from Hack and Swifty.Funny the more I drive Swifty the more I realise what a great package Hack is and its like 11 years old.
Micra still rules my heart.

CMF_Nissanmania

» CMF Member
I know what you mean Cisco. You want to spend your hard earned dollars on something that is more than an appliance. So you'd rather not buy something that buy a compromise! In that price bracket ($25K) you can buy a whole lot of 2nd hand car. Clio sport, even new Minis now.

CMF_Yom

» CMF Member
The build quality of the new renaults is up to that of Peugeot's quality too which isnt that bad. The japanese manufacturers are having HUGE issues with ****ty build quality right now. THey're cutting far too many corners to be able to compete with the Koreans.

CMF_Polar

» CMF Member
thats a bit weird for the cup premium stated on that site, in the uk the cup version of the clio sport is thousands cheaper than the standard version, as it has less equipment to make it lighter (cup spec).

CMF_Polar

» CMF Member
same with nissan in recent years, they suck.
have people read about the new nissan altima? fwd coupe using the 3.5v6 350Z engine. nissan isnt even going to have it in the uk, instead it will be badged a renault and be called the new laguna coupe. interesting, but fwd, what a shame. guess they dont want it to confuse people who are thinking about a 350z. i'm not confused though, both companies are crap.
if nissan make the URGE concept, then i will see them in a better light again.

CMF_Family Hack

» CMF Member
Got me Yom. Which Japanese cars have bad build quality??
One of the reasons I like most Japanese cars is because of their build quality.
Must admit the Koreans are catching up quickly but their cars are so boring.
Never mind the Chinese are coming. We will all laugh at them to begin with but give them 10years max and it will be a different story.

cisco

» CMF Member
Yeah agree. Nissan thesedays sucks for car/performance enthusiasts. They just make utes/SUVs/4WD in Australia, and anything that's not is boring. Tiida - BAH!

That's why sometimes I just feel like supporting Mitsubishi or someone like that because they have had the balls to take a big leap in a country full of V8 bogans and risk selling a small, high-tec performance oriented vehicle. I take my hate off to them, and I don't want to see the same thing happen to these cars as what happened to the micra for us back in 1997 when everything micra dried up.

But then at the same time, when they leave little things out like trip computer etc, then you don't want to buy it, because its not quite perfect. I just wish the Colt had a slightly more expensive model/version that offered this kind of stuff along with nicer interior trim etc. I.e. you could opt for it if you wanted.

But then yeah you're paying low 30s for a car that's still heaps slower than a 200sx, and you can pick 200sxs up second hand for good prices now. And they are pure performance. But like anything Nissan, they are getting older and parts will become harder in a few years from now - especially S14. The interior and stuff of the S14 just looks so outdated now..

Hey the Swift must handle really well. That review that YOM posted said they couldn't keep up with it around the corners in the Colt. By the way, that review seemed like a bit of a home grown job, like kids wrote it or something, but still, its interesting to see what they thought.

Yeah you're right Yom. I think my perceptions of what I like in a car have fully changed somewhat. I used to love the raw poverty of the micra and how much you could get it to perform with barely anything. I didn't care about the interior or any lack of features, it was all kind of an adventure to run around and find JDM things or whatever to try and customise and enhance the car. But then after kind of going around with circles and getting all the issues when things don't run smoothly, I think I now love getting it already all pre-done. I.e. you just drive it, and someone has parts for it and is able to service it no worries.

Yes I agree, the AU's interior plastic around the main centre controls thing is just cheap, hard stuff. But in the Fairmont model, everything else around it is better stuff. The interior is pretty good quality apart from that centre plastic kind of stuff. Obviously its no LTD or Statesmen, but there's plenty of woodgrain and velour for the price. But I certainly don't need woodgrain in a car to make me like it. But I guess the good thing is that newer cars are always seeming to become more and more packed with features. I mean if you just compare what you are getting for $29,990 in the COLT to what you got for $21,990 in a Super S 10 years ago. YOu can't believe it. The COLT is like double the car, double the features, double the technology and refinement of a Super S and it only costs a bit more. That surely is an awesome sign that things are heading in the right direction..

Heh, man I think I'll just think about it bit longer. No rush.. But its really an exciting time. I also don't mind ones like those GOLF GTI's etc. But then my head just always compares cars like that to how much faster a 200sx is, and how much cheaper a 200sx is. An S15 would surely be a top package thesedays. Go evade!

CMF_Hunter

» CMF Member
Agree with hack, great thread !!
Why on earth don't we get the VW Lupo, have another look at Polar's ... Classic lines, reminds me of the Swift which is our best looking current small car.
NOW couple the lupo with that 1.4 twincharged 125kw motor and Voila !! functionality, performance, and economy !!!
Ahhh to dream!!!
Forgive me if I'm wrong but methinks Cisco's garage may have a nice shiny s15 in it within say 6 mths !!!
See ya !

CMF_Yom

» CMF Member
Family Hack WROTE:

"Got me Yom. Which Japanese cars have bad build quality??

One of the reasons I like most Japanese cars is because of their build quality.

Must admit the Koreans are catching up quickly but their cars are so boring.

Never mind the Chinese are coming. We will all laugh at them to begin with but give them 10years max and it will be a different story.

Unfortunately all of them are mate. Toyota and nissan are cutting corners in the interior. Cheaper, thinner plastics. Mazda are using lovely looking and feeling plastics but they're ridiculously soft (and thin) and scuff up quicker than you can say "off milk on a 40degree day". Toyota's latest 4x4 offers have had corners cut in the mechanicals - differenetials and gearboxes especially. This is where nissan currently pwns toyota in the 4x4 market (the nissan drivelines are quite literally so much stronger and more durable than the toyota stuff at the moment its not funny... although there are clouds over the reliability of the patrol 3.0L turbo diesels).

Suzuki dont seem to be doing too badly but then again they havent exactly priced the Swift to be as cheap as the Echo, Getz etc. The swift has very quickly become one of the more premium small cars. Base model swifts do have terrible carpet and average trim though (but all of the base model small cars do... except the tiida its actually got half decent carpet and trim).

The koreans are putting the squeeze on the japanese. They're having trouble matching the little buggers.

CMF_Brendon

» CMF Member
why not get an audi a3 or s4. they small and they are pretty nice. s3 147kw and you can chip them and take it to 188kw. got a friend getting an A3 in a few weeks. i know they cost a lot more.

cisco

» CMF Member
Reasons I love the Colt R even more than sports style cars:
- Practicality. Its got 4 doors.
- Its super fuel efficient.
- Its super modern with everything that opens and shuts and the latest technology (electronic steering, mivec, projecter lights, computer everything, awesome styling, electronic flip in mirrors!).
- Every car will depreciate a bit, something more rare like a special edition, e.g. Ralliart, will hold its value slightly more. All cars depreciate anyway, the best thing with the lease, is that you get to buy it for a super bargain price at the end anyway. Then sell it for $3k mor e than the going 2nd hand price.
- The practical package with the superb sportscar handling.
- Loaded with features. Man think of everything that the micra Super S NEVER had and we all wished it did. Well check out the Colt's spec sheet: http://www.ralliart.com.au/RalliartVehicles/ColtTurbo.aspx?item=1

I think I'm pushing myself over the line.. Going to test drive one this week and get some final, accurate leasing plan projections..

Man, within 6-12 months, there will be bolt on power up boost kits for them available. Probably simple re-flashing with boost increase and jump from 220 up to 260Nm just as a possible example etc. You're gunna be able to get them to go even quicker so easily, and they have all the traction smart in place to handle it better than a micra ever did.

cisco

» CMF Member
Why Ralliart/Mitsubishi kick Nissan totally:
- They have setup www.ralliart.com.au which is decicated to their performance fans as well as attracting new performance fans.
- They sent me a massive full quality awesome metallic Ralliart sticker in the post after I signed up - They care about encouraging and attracing fans. Nissan couldn't give a crap. They sell 4WDs to tradesmen and soccer Moms.
- Turbo/MIVIC/Intercooler/EPS/ASC=Technology=Performance.

Nissan are crap. Anything good that they ever made is simply so old and perished now and parts are getting harder and harder to find. I am definitely not proud to hang my Nissan banner up any more. They give me a sick feeling the guts of no post-sales support and hard to find expensive parts. Nissan Australia - A bad experience!!!

Now Look, Of course Mitsu aren't perfect and they would no doubt have their whole swag of problems also, I'm not dreaming that any one of them is perfect. BUT, at least they are making a decent effort to drum up support for the aussie small car performance scene.

CMF_Yom

» CMF Member
Man let the k11's 1992 design blueprints rest in peace. It was and still is a truely awesome small car that took the other manufacturers 8 years to come up with a better all round package.

You're only comparing it (colt) to the micra because you're trying to talk it up in your mind.

Mate if you have to continually go over the specs and the positives as to why you'd buy one then mabye, just mabye you know deep down that you don't really like it and that buying one could be a mistake.

There's some food for thought.

cisco

» CMF Member
Nah. I just naturally think very seriously about any kind of serious commitment before diving in.. Its clear that you don't like it as much as I do, but that's fine, you don't have to drive one :)

I am definitely not bagging the micra out.. What I am trying to point out is that finally a small car has arrived with a lot of the features and technology that we used to try to source for our micra.. I hope I didn't offend any micra people and/or you Yom. Apologies if it came across that way.. The micra is/was in my blood - I will never forget..

ow many things do you see everyone running around trying to source aftermarket. E.g. cupholders (so simple! yet so hard to get), wide arch kits (the Colt has flares standard). etc etc. Yes you are 100% correct. The micra was a seriously awesome car for its time and still is today. I loved the micra and still love all those times and experiences it gave me. But I am just saying that for not much more $ than what a Super S used to cost, you can now get a pretty good all round car packed with technology.

Heh I'm pretty much definite now.. I bet I can sell the Fairmont for $500-$1000 more than what I scavenged it for when we bought it. They have held their prices well if not gone up since when we bought it. Because fuel prices are cheap again now. There are none for sale for the amount that we paid for the similar year and Km. They are all considerably more expensive. Probably a good time for me to sell the Fairmont, considering that fuel will again rise sometime down the track which can have the effect of lowering large car values.

In my mind, I know there is nothing available anywhere near as good for the price of the Colt. Sure, you can pay a bit more and get a bit more, keep adding $5000 to the price and you keep getting a better car. But you can't beat the bang for your buck of the Colt. I can lease one for cheap as chips and not really feel the cost of owning it. I can't justify something like an EVO with their crunchy 2nd gears that everyone is whinging about..

I also found out they have an electronic boot release on the keyring. Previously I was worried because it didn't have a remote boot release from the cockpit. But its on the keyring, that's just as good basically..

cisco

» CMF Member
Man I'm getting one.. I asked about the electronic mirrors..

And an owner replied with:

"Just need to double press the remote and it will fold open and close on command."

They are fully electronic flip out just like the JDM cars! YEAH!!!!

I bet there are so many other high tec JDM surprised in these things.

I also know the camshafts and valves are lightened. I think the camshafts are hollow.

cisco

» CMF Member
And a local owner got his dyno'd 3 runs in a row. 93fwkw in a row 3 times, no heat soak - it kept staying the same.

But consider you up the boost and bit and he'd have 120fwkw pretty easily as soon as some powerup kits come out.. Its blue monster with a bit extra weight, but the clever traction computers.

CMF_Family Hack

» CMF Member
Go for it Cisco. I would have bought the Colt but the shape just leaves me cold. Yes bang for your buck it wins and good on Mitsubishi
for taking the plunge. I hope they sell thousands of them.
Getting used to cars with all the mod cons is frustrating. I do not know how many times I pulled up, switched off and realised the drivers side window is down. Put key back in, turn on ignition and press up button. I find the power windows very fiddle and not as simple as a toggle switch which you operate manually. Always looking at the key to make sure I have hit the right button re loc/unlock. One click unlocks drivers side door, 2 clicks all doors plus boot.
SWifty is nice for sure and motor still working itself in but still not the same is taking Hack for a spin. Maybe I am getting old and sentimental or just plain mental.

CMF_Polar

» CMF Member
go for it cisco.
do you get the smart forfour brabus in oz? this is the raliart colt, but with loads more kit and electric goodies and ultra high quality trim. costs more though. but if you get the colt, look out for a brabus ecu as that will give you an instant 180ps over the colts 150ps, although it may not be cheaper to source than a tuning remap in your local tuning garage.

CMF_Nissanmania

» CMF Member
Had a great day at the Mitsubishi EvoIX/Colt Ralliart drive-day at the Wanneroo Raceway organised by Lindsay at Paceway Mitsubishi here in Perth.

Used it as a tuning day for my S14 racecar for an event this Sunday but more importantly got to drive an EvoIX and Colt Ralliart around the track as fast as I liked. You don't see Nissan organising these sort of events!

Impressions? EvoIX in stock trim on street tires is simply awesome. Turn-in and ability to hold a fast line through a corner was astounding. You are aware of all sorts of electronic trickery making you drive like a hero but in essence its all there to make the fun safe. That said, I personally would have liked the electronics turned off because I don't like the car suddenly applying the brakes without permission because the back end is stepping out. I would have prefered to feel a bit more sideways action. Still it's nice to know it's there if your wife is driving it on a wet windy road. On R-compound tyres this would stick to a corner and enable a driver to fully exploit it's abilities. I did sit as a passenger in Ross Dunkerton's (for OS members, a West Australian rally star of-old) tarmac-rally prepped EvoIX clubsport (factory fitted with rollcage, fire extinguisher, better suspension) and was given an insight into how hard and far these cars can be pushed.

OK, you would fully expect this sort of report on an Evo. They have a long history of awesomeness. What I wasn't expecting was the Colt to turn-in and corner almost as well as the Evo! Sure it lacks the outright grunt of the Evo but it is a phenomenal piece of kit in a fast corner. Not a hint of wheel spin, torque steer or even understeer. It actually drove like it had 4WD. Sure it is a little high off the ground (accentuated by its highish seating position)and the body would have a high centre of gravity making it feel like it should roll around in corners - but it doesn't much. Lower springs would transform this critter. The ESP is not that intrusive and works well to keep the car on track without slowing down progress - an anoying habit reported on some new cars in the press. The brakes were fantastic. I could apply them with confidence at each corner even after 5 or 6 hot laps doing close to 200km/hr in places.

Cisco you are spot-on about Nissan vs Mitsubishi. Mitsubishi is interested in their fan-base in organising these sort of days and bringing out these sort of cars into the markeplace. Nissan has a fan-base in Australia by accident, not through any effort on their part. They don't bring over most of their hero cars (too many to mention) and when they do they then decide to stop making them (S15) with no direct replacement on the horizon or bring out crap or watered-down versions (we never got the hot version of the AE86). And parts pricing is getting bloody ridiculous. I was quoted $50 each ex-Japan for a windscreen washer jet to fit in a new bonnet for my S14! I couldn't comment for other manufacturers but Nissan is taking us for fools.

CMF_Polar

» CMF Member
i forgot to say there are a few negatives with the colt. i used to be on the colt forum to get as much info as i could before i got my new car. main gripes are the traction control system, reports are when trying to have fun by overtaking a car or something if there is a tiny bump in the road the ssytem will cut in and cut the power, this leaves you on the wrong side of the road and all your turbo boost gone. seems it can be annoying for some in certain situations. and also it cant be turned off. it also presented a problem for the dyno, it couldnt get a run properly as the rear wheels were stationary it locked the sysyem out. think its possible to get around by removing the fuse though.
also ecu map needs to be sorted before any modification parts can be fitted otherwise the ecu detects very sensiteively a fault must be in the engine can go to limp mode. so no easy adjust the boost , or decat things etc., custom mapping is essential. or "only" ecu work as part of any tune up plans would make it easiest progress.
they also loose power if an aftermarket panel filter is put in. this must be becasue the standard one is very good.

CMF_Polar

» CMF Member
i reccomend registering up for a colt czt forum/club and see for your self how they get on. things may have developed in the last few months on tuning progress. some good full exhaust systems were being made last time i was on there.

cisco

» CMF Member
NissanMania, what a day!!! I wish we were there with you. Sounds fantastic. Glad to hear the handling reports.. nice!

Yeah agree re:Nissan in Aus TOTALLY.

Outright grunt is nice, but at the end of the day, I would prefer the nice fuel economy of the smaller engine and the more efficient all round smaller vehicle. I like small cars. If it can even feel close to the EVO, then that's clever and I'm impressed.

Hack, I read that review that Yom posted and they said they could not catch the Swift around corners in the COLT. Those things must be very nimble. I'm thinking down the track we might need a generic compact car kind of web site where we can all talk..

cisco

» CMF Member
Spent half of today in a work car Ford Focus 2.0.

Yuck. Its noy my cup of tea.
- Cheap interior, feels harsh and straight out of an injection moulding machine.
- Gutless 2.0 engine.
- Fuel economy was ok, but nothing exceptional.

Yeah it was just an average experience, not my cup of tea. But remembering its in no way meant to be a sporty model or anything.. So I guess I can't bag it out too much.

I hate the shape/appearance of the normal Colts too. Saw a few driving around. I only like the Ralliart model, they have dressed it up a lot.

cisco

» CMF Member
Oh well, the exciting thing, is that I think I'm gunna get some kind of car and definitely sell the 'mont. There is a lot to pick from..

Thinking about Colt Ralliart of course. But might take the time to test drive some other things.. Maybe Golf GTI, maybe WRX, maybe EVO.

CMF_Yom

» CMF Member
The focus has a very cheap and nasty interior. The last model did too. Real shame because they're both very composed vehicles on the road.

The mazda 3 and volvo s40 (same floorpant with the current shapes) are infinetely nicer interiors. Bit of a shame really.

CMF_Polar

» CMF Member
when they come out could also consider the new mini cooper s or Peugeot 207 gti both have the new 1.6 turbo 170ish bhp. or the golf TSI 1.4 supercharged and turbocharged 170bhp, with an easy remap to 210bhp.
or there is the polo gti 1.8 150bhp turbo. i cant remember what you thought of that.
also cheaper alternatives to the golf gti but with same 200bhp 2.0 turbo, are skoda octavia vrs and seat leon tfsi fr. or slightly cheper alternative to the polo gti, the seat ibiza with same 1.8 turbo but with 180bhp.
i know you need a turbo so haven't suggested any high revving NA options.
i'll also throw in for fun, the merc a class a200 turbo 190bhp, 911 turbo or mazda rx8 228bhp. mazda 6 2.3mps 256bhp.

cisco

» CMF Member
Thanks Polar, but Yeah, unfortunately we don't get most of those in AUS :(

But isn't the Mazda MPS 3 just a crazy piece of kit @ 256hp.
They are almost like buying a factory blue monster with that kind of power to weight! Almost.. It would out-un a Colt Ralliart in the straight line with its raw grunt, but I'd expect the Colt kills it around the corners. That's what some fans have been saying..

The power that the 3 MPS has is kind of too much almost.. I don't know how you could put it all down in the wet.. Its too much of a fuel guzzler I think for me..

Back