Can't Help Myself

CMF_Family Hack

» CMF Member
Oh well have ordered a set of extractors for the Swift plus wacking on a baffle free aftermarket sports muffler.Bloody thing too quiet and miss the growl of a sports muffler. Rest of the exhaust looks fine and being 2" already no need to change.
Done 640kls and its starting to free up. Brakes are great as is the handling.So many after market bits and pices available.
I think I will stay turbo free but over time see what can be done to free up some more horses.
Also time to start planning a tougher motor for Hack so the boost can be wound up.
Cannot have Hack falling behind Swifty.

cisco

» CMF Member
Hehe, awesome stuff. I bet the swift will sound lovely with a nice exhaust on it. That's great.

CMF_Yom

» CMF Member
Haha doesn't take you long does it.

I guess after having two forced induction micras the swifty feels a bit lagging in the oomph department.

You should get a dyno of it totally standard!

CMF_Family Hack

» CMF Member
I doubt I will ever have another vehicle that could pull like Whitey. I mean I used to wonder without really trying why everyone else was so far behind after lights went green.
Swifty does take a bit to wind up.Starts to work best above 4000 rpm.
What else? Cold air induction/lighweight flywheel/after market chip ?

CMF_Yom

» CMF Member
Depends on how much you know is left in the engine. Suzuki might have it pushing its limits powerwise already (in naturally aspirated form anyway) and thats not uncommon for suzi.

cisco

» CMF Member
You should have a chat to that dmwdave guy over at www.redlinegti.com

He sells turbo kits for the swifts. The whole thing I think for $7000 if I remember correctly. Already tested out on all his race/test cars all the hard yards already done for you.

You know with extractors, you will get a lovely note and some small to moderate power increase, but at the end of the day, it won't transform the feel or power of the car. Its the same route we went down with the micra, all started with the extractors and spent a lot of money putting those on and off, combined with other minor mods etc.. I reckon just go straight to the big one, turbo. You know you will eventually get sick of the NA power and want to turbo it!!! Save the time and effort this time and go straight for it! :)

If Mitsubishi included a trip computer and marginally nicer interior in their Colt Ralliarts, then I would probably buy one and start mucking around all over again heh. Solid axle though, feh. What rear susp setup has the swift got??

cisco

» CMF Member
Check this out:
http://videos.streetfire.net/video/2fff3325-ff47-466f-8807-984d00ef36d8.htm

Suzuki Swift Sport
Colt Ralliart
Daihatsu Boon X4
Honda Fit (Jazz)

All racing around.. Swift got the 2nd fastest lap time, but got stuck behind the Boon. Colt Ralliart saves the day and cleans them all up.

148Nm in the Swift must feel pretty good huh David? Must pull in terms of torque a fair bit more responsive than a factory micra?

One of the best things I love about all these new cars coming out is the technology like EPS (Electronic Power Steering) and the electronic handling stuff etc. Very clever and worth having.

CMF_Yom

» CMF Member
Family Hack WROTE:

"Hmm. Warm forged pistons as well as being oil jet cooled. Does this mean engine near its limits or built in safety factor just waiting to be exploited? Probably the first.

Well looking at suzuki's history in building sporty engines there's probably a chance that they've pushed the engine just about as far as it can go in naturally aspirated form (ie: anymore hardcore and it'll cost too much to make, be a pig to drive on the street, etc).

Probably best to wait for them to be around for a while and see how the M16A goes. I also notice its got a high compression ratio - 11:1. There'll be no turbocharging while it has a standard headgasket!

cisco

» CMF Member
Hmm 11:1, maybe keep it as an NA weapon then and just make it undrivable on the street etc. Heh, mega lightweight flywheel, raise the rev limiter, re-flash the ECU. Nitrous?

CMF_Family Hack

» CMF Member
Says the turbo kit is a direct bolt on. Nothing about changing the compression ratio. I think the turbo kit would only give you small boost maybe like 4/5psi.Trying to find out.Comes with front mounted intercooler.
Cisco you are a real stirrer.
Could always drop in the M18A engine. What am I doing??
Stop it. AS Yom said wait until someone else does the pioneering work.
I bet in Japan they already know what it can and cannot do.

CMF_Polar

» CMF Member
nice video. i'm sure the engine could get a nice upgrade of power keeping it NA. If you think about what power all these type of engines make when in rallying in the super 1600 class they are about 225bhp(fly) or so. i think 150-160bhp (fly) is a good easy target for normal street use. its something i could do for my lupo if i got some cams/chip/extractors. similar for your car aswell. but since i have been driving around in the wet recently i dont feel the need for more power too much now. its entertaining enough.

CMF_Snoopy

» CMF Member
From memory dmwdave is think of using the m18a in his next build up. His turbo kits run 7psi of boost. Have a look for jambo result in the suzuki general discussion area on redlinegti.com. That will tell you what they run with the turbo kits on. I think it ran around a high 14 with an inexperienced driver.

cisco

» CMF Member
Oooh The Aussie car scene is getting exciting once again!!!

I'm thinking of going down and sitting in the Colt, maybe going for a test drive in a sec.. Hmm but no trip computer. Bah!

cisco

» CMF Member
Nup stuff it. I'm not getting a colt.

- No steering reach adjustment.
- No trip computer.
- No remote boot release.

Honestly, in this day and age, a trip computer would add like $5 to the cost of producing the car. Reach adjustment is important.

Its almost there, with those things included, I would be sold.

I'll wait and see if they release a slightly better model in 1 year's time. You never know, it could be like series1 and series2 micras all over again :)

CMF_Nissanmania

» CMF Member
I've test driven the Colt Ralliart and found it to be a fantastic little car. Like you mentioned, Cisco, there are a few flaws. But then the Suzuki lacks ESP (electronic stability program) and no cruise control (disappointing if you want to avoid fines).

The rep I spoke to happens to be the manager of Mitsubishi Ralliart in WA and has invited me on a performance drive day in a couple of weeks to compare my (quite fast) 200SX with the Evo IX's and Colt Ralliarts at Wanneroo racetrack. Might even let me drive these on the track so I'll let you know how they rate.

Personally, I thought the Polo GTI was the pick of the bunch but its also flawed by only having 3 doors and daggy golf-clothing-type upholstery. Otherwise it's perfect - and already has a turbo!

CMF_Yom

» CMF Member
the daggy upholstery is meant to remind you of the original Golf GTI :p

Personally I'd work a bit harder for a few weeks and tick the leather option. Its not bad quality leather either.

cisco

» CMF Member
Sounds awesome Nissanmania. Let us know for sure about the results..

CMF_Polar

» CMF Member
not sure if you meant to say Mitsubishi nissanmania but the swift sport has ESP as standard and ABS with EBD. but maybe that doesnt apply to the jap version you have in oz which is the 5-door.

CMF_Nissanmania

» CMF Member
Oz version of the Sport gets EBD and ABS but no ESP yet - is on the cards in the future I've heard.

Polo GTI gets ABS/EBD/Brake assist/ESP/Traction control via electronic diff lock (EDL) and anti-slip regulation (ASR). Has cruise control as standard. Phew! Also has 12 year anti-corrosion perforation warranty.

CMF_Yom

» CMF Member
Nup we just get the short stick when it comes to features and options to keep the price down low (the swift sport has a sticker price of $23,990 AUD - convert that into pounds and compare it to yours).

People here just don't like paying alot of money for small cars (exceptions are the people who buy the apparntly 'prestige' europeans like VW, Mini, Mercedes, BMW, Audi, Citroen, Peugot, etc.) On that note the VW Polo GTI has a sticker price of around $27,000 and the Golf GTI starts at somewhere around $45,000. To put that into perspective we can buy a large luxury car like a localy made BFII Ford Falcon Fairlane Ghia or VE Holden Commodore Calais 'V' for around $45,000. These locally made cars represent ALOT of metal, ALOT of luxury and fairly good driving quality for the money. Base models start around $33,000.

So yeh, very different markets iand it reflects in our different equipment levels and pricing.

CMF_Nissanmania

» CMF Member
I know that if a car hasn't got something I want I'll eventually pay the money to do it as an aftermarket excercise - which is usually more expensive, wrecks your warranty and resale and is a pain to do as there's always some bugs to sort out.

So to pay an extra $3000 for cruise-control, ESP and a nice turbo'd engine seems like small change when you start entering the mod-game. But I know I'm not the average punter the marketing gurus have targeted with their price point vs features list. If there was a five-door Polo for $1000 extra I'd have one now - its the main thing swinging me towards a Swift Sport.

CMF_Family Hack

» CMF Member
Good discussion this one. I looked hard at what was around and decided that the Swift was probably best value for money in the price range I was looking at.Yeah Polo with 2 doors was a downer.I also like the shape of the Swift and well you have to buy a car that you like looking at.
Ah the turbo kit not advised for the Sport due to high compression ratio.
Anyway not going there yet. Extractors, sports muffler and improved air induction kit first.THis will not void the warranty but if I turbo it goodbye warranty.
Now done nearly 900kl and the motor is starting to free up.
Man if I had $40k or so to spend on a car would not know where to start !! Whole new ball game.

CMF_Polar

» CMF Member
remember before you do any modification to get it on the dyno to see where it's at from factory. this is the first thing i did for my lupo.

cisco

» CMF Member
Yeah it will still sound AWESOME with a nice exhaust and muffler..

Pics David pics!!!

CMF_Polar

» CMF Member
for your interest you might like to read a uk review of the swift sport.
http://www.channel4.com/4car/di/suzuki/swift/4654/
ours is 3 door only as shown.
06-swiftsport-s-a.jpg

CMF_Toma

» CMF Member
Ive pitted my (almost) stock Micra up against a Swift, id was pretty darn close. Only got away from me because I had the old stock shifter on. Was fun, and interesting.

Back