Changing Fuse Box

Hi,
Son has an Micra Shape 998cc 1996 0n an N plate,the fuse box located near to the battery has had a 15amp headlight fuse melt/rust and has caused corrosion to the inside connections of this fuse box,there seems to be a wiring loom going into and out of this box,is this a big job to replace (without me having much mechanical knowledge?) Cheers.

I had the same exact problem when i first bought my car, well it was like that so what i did was i cut the burt wires and fitted X2 male connectors that fits the fuse spade ends and hasnt given me a problem since and its been 3 years now!! to be honest i havent opened the box in 3 years. if you want me to take a picture and post it up, let me know

J

The burnt out connector is for the front left hand side headlight,how would I identify the correct wire within the loom entering the fuse box in order to cut it?bearing in mind I am not very technical when it comes to this sort of stuff?
Helloween,if that is poss to upload a picture I would be very grateful for your time and input.

IMG_0009.jpg

Hi, I have unclipped and turned over the fuse box,the wire top left is the problem one the connections are rusty and overheating etc,if I am going to try and cut the wire and put in an inline fuse bypassing the fuse box (for this one connection) to which wire do I connect it to.Please advice.Tartdog.

yeah but the 4 wires you can see on the left hand side,the top red one with 2 grey bands is the corroded connection for the left headlamp,the red one below with 1 grey band is the right headlamp,the yellow one is the alternator,and the orange one say "inj"?? I've got those 4 wires going in but cant see any wires coming from those connections.If you see the loom? (left side of picture) you can see the red (2 grey striped) wire go right across and go into the right hand loom?,it then somehow comes back out of the right hand loom and into the corroded connection,I obviously need to cut it off as it goes into the corroded coneection but to what wire do I connect it to?please anyone futhur advice,cheers.Tartdog.

are the 4 fuses fed by 1 linked supply tartdog ? (1 fat wire that feeds the combined input side of the fuses)

are the 4 fuses fed by 1 linked supply tartdog ? (1 fat wire that feeds the combined input side of the fuses)

Hi thanks for your time to reply,I'm sorry but I don't follow you,I'm beginning to think that this a bit beyond my scope as not very technical.I was hoping to see one wire going into the fuse and one wire coming from the fuse then could join them together,not too sure what to do with the above.Tartdog.

ti looks like the big blue/white wire is feeding the 4 fuses (from your pic) and the 4 thinner wires come from each fuse tartdog ?
if so... you need to tap into the b/w wire and join it to the affected thin wire (via an inline fuse)

Right I think I am following you, I pull out the red wire that is connected to the corroded part of the fuse and join it to the blue/White wire at a point prior to where the blue/White wire goes into the fuse box, with an inline 15 amp fuse.If correct how/what type of connector would I need to go about splicing into the blue/White wire?,cheers.Tartdog.

yes mate, personally i would shave a bit of insulation off and jab a spike under about 5 or 10 of the copper strands, then thread the jump wire through and solder or crimp

Would it make sense that when I find someone who can do this,that we should do the same for the other headlight connection in the fuse box? in case this one does the same?cheers.Tartdog.

Hi tardog, sorry i didnt get a chance to post a picture but will do when daylight, also where do you live? london? if so ill have a look at it and sort it!!

J

Back