stupid freaking fuse

Davey C

Ex. Club Member
Club Member
right now i have had this problem for a while, the n/s headlight keeps loosing dipped headlight,

ie when dipped is selected the o/s will come on fine but the n/s will remain on sidelight.

obviously this is annoying for more than one reason. i know what he problem is but i cant seem to fix it, the fuse in the box under the engine bay keep coriding hence the connection is broken and the light stops functioning correctly. i have replaced it a number of times now and it is getting annoying. well it went again the other week and i replaced it as per usual and now the fuse did not even correct the problem.

so i can only assume that the corrosion is too much/has gone too far, blocking conection etc.

is there anyway of getting rid of this problem. an oil or grease designed for such a problem? can you just chip the corrosion away or what?

im being causious seen as its an electrical problem and especially after the recent fire that took place in mr grassies engine bay

any advise welcome and much appriciated

you can get electrical contact cleaner in a spray can from most motor factors which will get rid of the corrosion

Fordy said:
you can get electrical contact cleaner in a spray can from most motor factors which will get rid of the corrosion

fantastic, i figured there would be a specific product for this sort of thing, so its just a spray in and leave for ten minutes kind of thing

most of the time you spray it in and get a small flat headed screwdriver in and rub it with that then just keep doing that untill all the corrosion is gone or you could take the terminals out the bottom of the fuse box and clean them with the spray and a small wire brush

Do you think that's the problem tho, surely the old fuses wouldn't blow due to corrosion unless there was something else wrong with it. I would say get it looked at properly, or get a meter reader to it and see the comparasion of the volt's passing through both the light's when they're on both side lights and dipped.

enough corrosion will act as a resistance which will cause one headlight being dimmer than the other,

i would take the bottom of the fuse box off and give all the wiring a good clean with some good electrical cleaner and wire brush then you can get all of the corrosion off,

tighting the contacts could help aswell

i can put money on it being the headlight connection, the one that connects directly to the bulb, both mine have gone and i had to solder new connections onto the wiring!

Daz :alien:

the problem is what i have described, the corrosion literall takes off the end of the fuse, it doesnt blow it just rots! ill try and find an old one and take a pic

Davey C said:
the problem is what i have described, the corrosion literall takes off the end of the fuse, it doesnt blow it just rots! ill try and find an old one and take a pic

Oooooh!!!! :)

you can see the damaged one here, thats only been on the car about 2 months

Attachments

• Image036.jpg
    Image036.jpg
    171.6 KB · Views: 162
  • Image037.jpg
    Image037.jpg
    236 KB · Views: 185
Not really the best quality of picture, but it looks to me as if the fuse is being burnt - loose connection in the holder. Have you looked at the connections to the bulbs m8?

As said ^^ you really should check the actual connections to the bulbs, these get corroded as well and cause the same problem.

I had the same issue with my light circuit, the box was badly corroded, I've put them onto a different circuit with another one :p and used a slightly bigger fuse. Works a treat

Chances are the fuse holder is knackard as well. The heat from the poor contact will casue the metal to go brittle it will never have the strength to hold the fuse properly again, as you may find out in the long term.. you may also find the base of the fuse box is melted slightly. beneath the fuse.

i went to an auto eectrcan when i had this problem,,it cost me £90 for a new fuse hoder including labour

It's a combination of the existing corrosion, loose contact, and high current. Once it starts, it is hard to stop without replacing it. Rather than replace the whole fusebox, just stick a fuse holder in to replace that individual one.

Best thing to stop corrosion starting is tight contacts and a good smearing of vaseline.

Andrew said:
Rather than replace the whole fusebox, just stick a fuse holder in to replace that individual one.

Best thing to stop corrosion starting is tight contacts and a good smearing of vaseline.

just to clarify, so take the metal conections of the corroded fuse holder and replace the connectors rather than the box?

thankyou all for the advise people, very helpful as usual :)

yes, or just cut the wires that lead to the fuse and put a new holder on them external to the box

You get these little rubber fuse holders where the wire is in a loop and you cut it. They are pretty much totally sealed when the lid is on, and I think can take enough current. Most auto electrical places sell them.

my head light wire of the bulb burnt out a little bit ,sounds like the same problem, check them close:k11red

Back