Fuse changing......

John_D

Club Member
Radio Code Guru
While trying to finally sort an intermittent connection in a rear light connector that causes the reversing light to not always work I managed to momentarily short the rear light bulb connector, which of course blew the fuse, so no N/S front and rear sidelights. No problem I thought, got plenty of spares, just pop open the little hatch in the dash and put a new one in. How wrong could I be? :mad: Having checked all of the obvious easily located fuse boxes and not finding any lighting fuses I resorted to looking in the Haynes manual........What utter twat thought that it would be a good idea to put the lighting fuses in the upside down electrical box below the N/S headlight??:eek:. So to change the fuse it is necessary to completely remove the head light, not a simple job on a K12 at the best of times, but when its cold dark and wet, positively a monumental pain in the arse!! Over an hour just to put a new fuse in :mad:
Rant over.

With the 1.4. I have an engine compartment fuse box next to the battery? And one inside, left of the steering wheel (On the right for you guys.)

Is there another?

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G950F met Tapatalk

With the 1.4. I have an engine compartment fuse box next to the battery? And one inside, left of the steering wheel (On the right for you guys.)

Is there another?

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G950F met Tapatalk
Oh yes.....this one:-
$_3.JPG

and it's located upside down, with fuses and relays defying gravity, under the head light! :eek:
Having got the headlight out I spent ages trying to work out how to get the 'top' off, only to realise that it didn't have one. You have to unclip it (4 clips) then lift and rotate it, with all the wires shown above still connected, to see the fuses and relays..o_O Loads of fun!! :mad:

Last edited:
“Always look on the Brightside of the”IPDM (Intelligent Power Distribution Module?

Well at least the condensation and rainwater will drain out of it instead of into it when inverted?
My initial thoughts were to blame Renault for the appalling design of the electrical system which the K12 shares with the Renault Clio Mk3, then I realised that it all appeared in the K12 two years before the first Mk3 Clio made it to the road......(the Mk2 Clio, up to 2005 having a much better designed system, with all fuses easily accessible), so perhaps the blame lies with the Nissan 'designers' after all?
Similar rants about the same fuse box (IPDM) can be found on the Clio forums, the only difference being that it is not necessary, on the Clio, to remove the headlight to gain access to it, but 'only' having to remove the car battery and battery tray, with quotes of main dealers charging an hours labour to replace a fuse.......!
I for one will now be VERY careful, when changing bulbs, to be sure that there is no power going to any of them, prior to removing/re-fitting any bulb!

My initial thoughts were to blame Renault for the appalling design of the electrical system which the K12 shares with the Renault Clio Mk3, then I realised that it all appeared in the K12 two years before the first Mk3 Clio made it to the road......(the Mk2 Clio, up to 2005 having a much better designed system, with all fuses easily accessible), so perhaps the blame lies with the Nissan 'designers' after all?
Similar rants about the same fuse box (IPDM) can be found on the Clio forums, the only difference being that it is not necessary, on the Clio, to remove the headlight to gain access to it, but 'only' having to remove the car battery and battery tray, with quotes of main dealers charging an hours labour to replace a fuse.......!
I for one will now be VERY careful, when changing bulbs, to be sure that there is no power going to any of them, prior to removing/re-fitting any bulb!

My hypothesis on these issues is that Nissan was over engineering the vehicles; not charging correspondingly for it, therefore went broke in 1999 and bailed out by Renault taking a 44% stake. Renault ruthless cost accounting management produced the comedy of errors amalgam of Renault Nissan parts design mishmash that is the K12,K13,K14 with most other models languishing at the bottom of consumer satisfaction, durability and reliability surveys lost mojo to this day? :rolleyes:

References:

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=1...x-b&gfe_rd=cr&dcr=0&ei=rq5TWrT6PIusgAbIgKGoDw

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/1627671.stm

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/...er-satisfaction-survey-full-car-model-results

https://www.honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar/nissan/micra-k13-2010/?section=good

Back