Changed my Steering Wheel! But....

We'll get to the "But" in a minute. Meanwhile a short pictorial....

How do we get from THIS:

20140821_140758_zps8daqwio3.jpg

20140821_140819_zpsiat5htfi.jpg

To THIS:

20140821_142104_zpssk8yjpgg.jpg
?

By the use of THIS!

20140821_142137_zpsnelpodv7.jpg

Yes, that is MY blood!

So, after much faffing, swearing, bleeding, swearing, faffing, swearing, and swearing I had a pile of bits:

20140821_162330_zpsj8e3yxrz.jpg

.... so I could fit THIS!

20140821_161350_zpsjljsx4fj.jpg

!
Now the "But".....

It's a bit close to the column stalks (I can work around that), but I have NO IDEA how to get the Horn connected! Anyone got some ideas? There's nothing to run power to the supplied Horn Ring. Suggestions?

There should be 1 wire to plug onto your horn button.
Some come with 2 tabs on the button itself. Just swap em over until it works
It earths via a spring contact on the boss

You know you didn't need to lose blood swapping the wheels, I have the torx bit that fits :)

As for the horn, does the aftermarket push button have two prongs on it?

You know you didn't need to lose blood swapping the wheels, I have the torx bit that fits :)

As for the horn, does the aftermarket push button have two prongs on it?
I have the tamperproof Torx bits too, and the result was the mangled bolt heads I show at the top. I think they're WELDED in! Anyway, aren't you supposed to put your own blood, sweat, and tears into your cars? ;)

Also you will have noticed that I have removed ALL the gubbins for the airbag, so the only wire is the Green/White one in the small yellow plug I shoved the resistor in, and there's nowhere for it to go (I don't fancy having wires wrapped around the steering column as I turn the wheel!). On other cars there has been a contact on the column to go against the horn ring on the bottom of the boss, and there's nothing there to do that job on this car. :( Do I need a part from a non-airbag car?

Isn't that the wiring for the horn?
No, the white plug is the wiring for the airbag, the horn is still connected to the push (the off-white plug at toe top of the frame). If you look at the pile of bits you'll see the round thing with yellow surface: That goes between the wheel and the column. The small yellow plug you see in the Vid plugs into that, and from there you have 2 wires, one for the horn, one for the airbag. The Round thing had to come off because with it on the wheel doesn't go onto the splines.

This is what you have with the Airbag slip-ring:

20140822_135831_zpsadf8ejj7.jpg

Take it off and you have:

20140822_135558_zps2elh0etc.jpg

You can see the resistor in place (Hi-Tech stuff). The plug has only 3 wires: 2 for the airbag, and the green/white for the horn push. Anyone got a non-airbag slip ring they can sell me?

When I swapped the steering wheel on my super s there wasn't a "slip ring" afaik they're only on airbag models, also there were two wires live and earth

Back