brakes pads changed on front wheel

Hi
Just an update, had the MOT done this year and the CV boot replaced and the welding had to be done under seal behind the driver side, as i do not know how on earth it had a hole, as this waht the MOT guy said. So it costed me £70.00 to get the welding doen and changing the CV boot and wipers.

However just the advisory note the front 2 wheels needs changing soon, as they are near to the legal limit. I had to changed the fog light bulb, but due to my bumper was damaged ,as this lady reversed into me and her tow bar damaged the bumper/ Grille, which holds the Fog light, so i had to siliconed to keep it stable, as otherwise you need to change the bumper and the mechanic said it is not worth changing due to the value of the car.

However my front driver side had a noise, so i called AA out and he drove for a mile and no noise, but as we were approaching home the noise started to appear and he suspected Braked pads. So he took the wheel off and checked the brake pads and he said they are worn, so you better change them ASAP. However i only did 6,000 miles and i had to replace the brake pads and the shop owner told me usually you get 15,000 -20,000 miles out of the brake pads. So i got in touch with the supplier and he told me to send the old ones back for inspection to see if this is a manufacturing fault. When i took the pads out the Left hand side of the vehicle which is the passenger side the brake pads were equal and the driver side one brake pads had the same as the passenger side and the other pad was quite worn out. Could this be brake pad fault, or the caliper and the caliper pins, but they all looked ok. I am baffled by this, as the old pads were fitted few years ago and it did 6,000 miles and the pads were worn out only 1 pads and the 3 pads had equal depth of wear.

Attachments

• brakesnissanmicrafrontpads.zip
    6.8 MB · Views: 251
Seized or stiff caliper slider pins most probably. With no pads fitted does your caliper move side to side freely when bolted up. And when I say free, I mean with hardly any effort.

Thank you for your replies.

Last time I changed the front wheel discs and brake pads by national tyres. This was in November 2011, since then I have only done 6,000 miles and one of the brake pads nearly worn out.

So when I called the AA he said it brake pads worn, but he did not find anything wrong with the caliper and he even checked the caliper pins and it looked ok and he applied some silicon transparent grease on the caliper pins and he was pushing the pins in and out and he said it looks ok.

Is it I do low mileage, as I only do short distance may be 2-3 miles a day or even sometimes it is not driven for few days.

I checked the disc at the time when I was replacing the brake pads my self and I did not see any marks on the disc, as I changed the brake pads in time, as this what happened last time, where I had to change the disc and the brake pads.

If it's not the pins, then it's the piston not releasing pressure when you take your foot off the pedal. It'll be rusted where the piston boot fits in the caliper stopping the piston releasing slightly. Remove caliper and clean it up. Re grease with brake fluid or red rubber grease.

The welding is typical, rear of car either side before wheel arch is a known rot spot, mines been welded and ive now filled the section up with waxoil.

Back