K11 excessive steering wheel vibration

I drove to manchester a couple a days ago from newcastle a couple days ago and every time the car went aroung or above 70mph the steering wheel would vibrate quite a bit. I know that this is probably caused by unbalanced wheels or wrong allignment, and that it will cause excessive wear on bearing etc, but I just wanted to know if it is dangerous? Because I need to make the return journey in a days time and I dont want to get it looked at until I get it home. Is it safe to drive?

Cheers,
Joe

Thanks for your quick replies, i appreciate it. A tenner is alot less than I actually expected. I only know of a kwik fit garage that does wheel balancing, i hope they dont overcharge :s

had MOT done and they swapped the back wheels over, ( one wheel is directional which im assuming is why they changed them over becuase they were wrong) im not getting vibration around 70mph, ive had the front wheels balanced but do the back ones need doing aswell?

If you're feeling a vibration through the car (i.e. through the seat) rather than through the steering wheel, that indicates the back wheels may need balancing.

They usually charge £5 per wheel here, only takes a few minutes. They should always be done when the tyres are changed and it's recommended to have them checked every 6-12 months depending on mileage.

BG

Thank god this post exists, mine happens at 80mph, but put your foot down further and after about 83mph it stops!! Should I get mine checked?

You can get it done at any tyre center for a few quid and 5 minutes. They just stick it on a machine, and it tells them where to clip a weight on.

Back