Howto: Remove SRS Airbag Steering Wheel

I was looking into removing the steering wheel on my K11, because it was not properly symmetrical when the car was heading straight. I decided to document my findings for people with need for this. This guide is also helpful if you need to replace the airbag or switch to an aftermarket steeringwheel.

Step 1. Disconnect the battery!
It is extremely important to disconnect the battery, since airbags work with capacitors. It is designed so that if you are in an accident, and the battery gets disconnected, the airbag system should still function. Let it drain for at least 15 minutes before starting the actual removal. Park the car with the wheels pointing straight so you don't get confused when the steering wheel comes off!

Step 2. The tools.
You are going to need a special security torx bit, called a T50. The airbag is held in with two of these on either side of the wheel. This is what it looks like:
92539884.jpg

Also, you are going to need a 19mm socket for the actual nut that holds the wheel firmly in place.

Step 3. Electrical connector.
There are three plastic covers around the steering wheel. The two on the sides contain the T50 screws. The one on the bottom contains the electrical connector for the airbag. Start by popping off all the covers, use your nails or a screwdriver if you have short nails :p
50638058.jpg

Disconnect the clip by pushing in the tab
24570196.jpg

Step 4. T50
Here is one of the security bits exposed. Remove both on either side.
19087706.jpg

Step 5. Finale
You are almost there! Remove the airbag, disconnect the horn connector, and pull out a 19mm socket for the nut. Don't take the nut completely off, it's good to have it just started on the threads when you are yanking the wheel off. You don't want to get hit in the face :D Congratulations, a winner is you!
33263784.jpg

Step 6. Reinstallation
Remember to clean and put loctite on the T50's when you reinstall. The airbag system is extremely important, you don't want the bolts coming loose here! Install with caution!
13259081.jpg

Final thoughts: Airbag systems are very dangerous. If you are unsure about your mechanical skills, have a garage do the work for you. I'm super satisfied since now I can finally enjoy a straight steering wheel again :D

Bit of a bump on this one, finally got around to removing the steering wheel and put it on straight, foolishly went for a test drive with no airbag to make sure it was going in a straight line.
Got home, disconnected the battery left it for a while and refitted the airbag, now the airbag light is flashing and wont go off:(.
Quick look on line and it seems the car now thinks the bag has detonated, no codes for me to reset so it's a trip to nissan and £75 for a reset:mad:
Further internet investigation and one technique worked:)

f you have the airbag light, it will show steady for a few seconds (the manual says 7 secs) after you turn the key from off to on (but not start) and then start to flash. Here is how to reset it:

1. Turn the key from off to on.

2. Watch the airbag light closely. It will stay on for a few secs. and then as soon as it blinks off (the start of the flashing), turn the key off instantly.

3. Count to 5 (1 Mississippi, 2 Mississippi . . . .)

4. Repeat steps 1-3 two more times until you have done the cycle three times.

5. Now turn the key on and watch the light. It will start blinking in a different, slower manner. This is diagnostic mode. You can watch this for a little while, no hurry.

6. Now turn the key off again, Count to 5 like in step 3 again, and turn back on. If the procedure worked, the airbag light will not be flashing.

If it does not work the first time, just repeat the steps again.

Does that work even if there isn't an airbag in the car? May have to try that one myself

After checking last night on my facelift, there isn't a bulb to remove?

no there isnt a bulb... its 2 LEDs soldered onto the board. i just heated up my soldering iron and flicked them off. problemo solvedo. the only issue thereafter is you get an advisory for airbag warning light not illumination on the MOT.

Back