cg13

right im in need of a cg13 for my k10 its currently a ma12. to me its gutless now with owning a sunny gti for a year before i got this it just doesn't do it for me. it pulls well in 1st and 2nd but then it just feels like i could get out and walk faster:laugh: i was going to buy umars cherry turbo engine but at the min i just cant get the cash:down: this is a great little car and all i want from it is some more grunt. i dont want to throw cash into the ma12. so i think a cg is on the cards. i can get one cheap enough from my local breakers if they have one in.

what i want to know is to keep the injection could i just use a aftermarket inline pump? and if so could this be wired up to the loom for the pump from a k11 to use the relay or is there a pump i could use that doesn't use a relay?

also what clutch do i need to use with the standard k10 gear box? is it the pre 98 1.0 or can i just use the 1.3 pre 98 clutch?

also in terms of the loom can i split it down to what i need or do i have to change the whole loom?

cheers, steve

I have no experience with the cg13 engine but for the fuel pump you will need to use a relay as an ecu will only send a signal to turn the pump on (not enough current to actually make it work) relays are easy to wire up anyway.

i have to stand up for fitting a cg engine, (cos i did lol) but i didnt go to all the trouble of injection, and it wasnt a stock cg engine ;), were talking custom high compression pistons, long stroke crank ;) , it went like the clappers alot better than my lightly modded ma12,

if you do it the easy way like i did, you keep the k10 'box, use a pre 98 cg10 flywheel, and then you only need to make 1 engine mount,
the hard bit is making the k10 dizzy fit the cg head, you need to fab an adapter. you will also need some carburation, either bike carbs or the stock k10 carb or similar.

if your hell bent on running it as injection, what id do is take everything out of the k11, the ecu wiring loom and everything, but just fit a high pressure inline fuel pump instead of the in-tank one

it may only be 40cc but its an extra 8 valves too :)

the problem ive had is you have to mod the mounts for it to fit practically fit the whole loom and ecu, so my brain then says why bother when i could fit a ga14/16 then i think why bother with that why not a sr20 after all ive got 3 sat at home
value for money your better off getting the ma12 cammed there about 80 quid and will easily push the hp up with appropriate breathing mods to beyond a cg13
not to mention the cg 13 shafts dont fit k10s

why doesnt someone figure out how to fit a cg head on an ma12 that would be different or just bin the whiole familiy of nissan engines as youll need need to rewire the car anyway and bung in a b16a2 or even better a b18c4
the mini boys can do it why cant we

this is the issue i have ive looked at the 4age swap i know these engines are bullet proof cause ive had one and then i do keep thinking v-tech but it will mean buckets of cash (custom driveshafts, mounts, exhaust, wiring, gear linkage) i think toyota would be the best bet as they use cable gear linkage but its all fun and games lol

Then you could fit an mr2 engine lol the same issue why fit a little trueno engine when you could bung in an mr2 I currently am doing the hose from hell on one right now horrible job

why doesnt someone figure out how to fit a cg head on an ma12 that would be different or just bin the whiole familiy of nissan engines as youll need need to rewire the car anyway and bung in a b16a2 or even better a b18c4
the mini boys can do it why cant we
Ma12 with cg13 head :D? that would be fun, but I doubt that this is possible

ive herd about that hose from hell doesn't sound fun lol. ive not done that much work on 3sg engines i did change the fan belt on a mr2 turbo once and all i can say is what a ball ache.

the trouble is i am not really into all that straight line speed malarkey the cg will be nice and light and ive done that many engine swaps im getting tired of working in the front street as i have to dodge traffic wardens ect. i once converted a 1.4xs pug 205 to a gti in the front street and it wasn't easy i had to change the front subframe, rear axle (for discs(Y)), tank, front suspension, engine and box, wiring, gear linkage ect. and i managed it in a day but i will not go to them extremes again. im thinking of getting the cg in in the front street then tow it down my garage to finish the rest as i dont have electric at the garage:down:

Iam in the process of fitting a cg13 into my k10.

I don't really understand what all the fuss is about, not trying to be funny or anything.

I think I may write up a how to with a few different routes to take.

Imo keeping the injection is no harder than fitting the carbs and dizzy, in fact providing you can get around the NATS (earlier ecu maybe) then I would say it is easier.

This is what I have learnt so far, both from the conversion iam doing now and also from conversion I have done in the past.

From the top.

Get these parts from the scrapyard:-

*cg13de with loom ecu and as many ancillaries as possible, the radiator ect may come in handy.
*cg10 flywheel, Clutch, gearbox stays and plate that's between engine and box

The engine and box will bolt together with the cg10 clutch/flywheel combo, although you need to open up the bolt holes in the k10 box by approx 1mm.

The engine will now bolt into the car, apart from the one mount at the pulley end.

Once that mount is done, the engine is mounted and all good.

The stock driveshafts ect will fit because you are using stock gearbox. Also speedo drive, clutch cable and starter will be all good to go.

Now more tricky stuff.

Wiring:-

There will be about 5 wires to connect up to the car.

Constant battery +
Constant battery -
Ignition battery +
Fuel pump signal wire (ill cover this below)
Maybe 1 or 2 more.

But that's the essentials to make it run.

The starter motor will wire up as standard. The k10 alternator can be easily adapted, thus requiring no wiring they're.

Right now were onto fueling.
The fuel pump relay and signal wire from ecu.

A relay is a simple switch that can handle current draw better that push button switches. You have 4 pins
1. a live from the fuse box
2. Another live from the fuse box
3. A wire to the + connection on the pump
4. Ecu signal wire

The ecu signal wire is a switched earth. It is not live!!! When the ecu earths out pin 4, it makes a circuit with pin 1. This circuit is like a little magnet and close a gate! This gate makes a circuit between pins 2 and 3. So when you turn the key, the ecu switches the relay which inturn powers the pump.

Its really really easy ;)

Now the pump itself:-
You need either a swirl pot in the tank or an external swirl pot. If you don't run a swirl pot, you WILL have fuel surge.

An external pot requires a pump to feed the pot from the tank. And then another pump feeding the fuel rail from the pot. This stops air getting into the system. Injectio relies on constant fuel pressure.

That's it imo.

Putting in a sr20 will make the micra terrible to drive imo.

It needs to have a small revvy engine, just like minis do :D

Ill re read and edit a few bits in this post.

Kev

thanks for the write up kev that helps alot the only reason i want the injection is incase i want to turbo later on i dont want to go down the route of fabbing manifolds ect i would do it but i havent got the equipment and i like to do stuff myself thats the whole fun of it.

if i move the drivers side mount on the car could i just bolt it to the body or does it have to be welded?

cheers, steve

thanks for the write up kev that helps alot the only reason i want the injection is incase i want to turbo later on i dont want to go down the route of fabbing manifolds ect i would do it but i havent got the equipment and i like to do stuff myself thats the whole fun of it.

if i move the drivers side mount on the car could i just bolt it to the body or does it have to be welded?

cheers, steve

this is a new age !!!!!
big thanks to the people doing/done this
even if i never do it ,,what a nourishing read!!!!!!!!!!

Back