cg13 or ga16?

-AdaM-

Ex. Club Member
Club Member
i have done a seach but didnt find anything specific so sorry if its there i couldnt find it so i just thought id ask.
im thinking of doing an engine change and was wondering which would be able to get the most power for the cheapest

im guessing both engines will be in the same kind of price range to buy and fitting will be cheap if not free as my dad owns a garage and all the equipment relevent to change an engine and weld new mounts.

Obviously the ga16 is going to be a harder conversion to do as its not a direct fit but having done a search it appears that it mounts to the cg's gearbox, so it should be easier than getting new driveshafts made. and as the ga16 produces 100 odd bhp standard it should be cheaper to get the power from?

but basicly i was just wondering what is more cost effective to get power. (sorry to bore you ranting on)

Adam

well a well sorted cg13de with 120bhp will cost around £2k (ecu, mapping, propper exhaust, high compression pistons, flywheel and cams etc etc)
a 120bhp GA16 would cost around £1500 but will have lots more torque. but will also weight more... plus the price of the conversion (say about £500) better ask toney about that...

A conversion shouldn't really cost a lot at all, as long as you're well prepared. It's the things you don't think about that take you by surprise, which usually costs you money.

i have done a seach but didnt find anything specific so sorry if its there i couldnt find it so i just thought id ask.
im thinking of doing an engine change and was wondering which would be able to get the most power for the cheapest

im guessing both engines will be in the same kind of price range to buy and fitting will be cheap if not free as my dad owns a garage and all the equipment relevent to change an engine and weld new mounts.

Obviously the ga16 is going to be a harder conversion to do as its not a direct fit but having done a search it appears that it mounts to the cg's gearbox, so it should be easier than getting new driveshafts made. and as the ga16 produces 100 odd bhp standard it should be cheaper to get the power from?

but basicly i was just wondering what is more cost effective to get power. (sorry to bore you ranting on)

Adam

For the work you put into doing a GA16 you may aswell do an SR20DE swap if its power your after. There not alot more work!

the only thing stopping me doing the sr20 conversion is money for custom driveshafts. all be it i could get my dad to chop and weld me driveshafts but they wouldnt last long.

with the ga16 i dont think it would cost me more than £250 for the conversion (£100 for the engine £100 for the ga16 manifold from america and £50 for a cg13 gearbox) all the other bits needed i could get or make in my dads garage.

if the ga16 does actuly marry up to the cg gearbox then i cant see it costing me more than that as me and my dad will do it over a week or two. then its just cams n a bit of tuning.

Was just seeing if anybody had any advice on the idea

if you want plenty of grunt, go for the bigger engine, but the thing that would put me off personally is the extra weight
but the CG engine is a true thoroughbred and with some decent cams it drives just like a vtec :cool:

im thinking hard about it, i wont have money to do it before jae as i want to get other bits sorted on the car 1st but i should be able to have it done just after so im looking into it as thouroughly as possible.

But cheers for your help again!

why do people think the cg box and shafts fit with the ga engine
i know 2 people running ga engine with cg box and they both have custom shafts
personaly its down to what you want to use the car for
if you want a car that will out do most big high powered car around a track like brands hatch keep with the cg it all down to weight
i would consentate on the cars handling before anything else

Remember that the GA16 is an iron block, so it'll weigh a lot more.

It's not downright power, but power to weight. An artic lorry has hundreds of horsepower, but you don't see them setting 0-60 records because they weigh tons.

if you want plenty of grunt, go for the bigger engine, but the thing that would put me off personally is the extra weight
but the CG engine is a true thoroughbred and with some decent cams it drives just like a vtec :cool:

You honestly think the CG Engine series are thoroughbred? ..:wow:

ga16 or cg13deT??

Hello

Thought I'd put a new question in this thread just because the question is so close to the threads question.

Ga16 or cg13deT????

First I was thinking that absolutely ga16, but then started reading and thinking that the ga16 is heavier than the cg13.

Of course the ga16's got alot more torque, but then again, cg13 with the turbo would be quite nice.

So, opinions ????

sure, how many (stock) early 90,s engines will rev to 9k, and will stand 1/2 bar forced induction (150+hp) on stock internals ?

how long would the engine last if the revlimiter was removed and took to 9? would it still be reliable?

how long would the engine last if the revlimiter was removed and took to 9? would it still be reliable?

i would put money on a 1.3 going bang within hours, but i bet a 1.0 would do a full season of track events np :)
there,s a spare 1.0 engine (with a piper inlet cam) i,ll be using while i put my pistons in, so i,ll let you know)

Back