Car isn't starting :( :(

Micra_Mamp

Ex. Club Member
right.. me and my mate have been fixing up my car ready for an MOT. we had to wire up the horn and to do that i had to wire in a button on the dash (for other reasons i cannot remember) anyway, the horn works fine, wooo BUT

in the process of finding the correct wires for the horn my mate snapped the ring that goes round the ignition barrel (my instincts tell me this is for the NATS) there is also another wire that has come loose and looks like it has snapped.

now every time i try to start the car a check light flashes next to the handbrake light in the bottom right of the dash. the engine will turn over and every now and then it will grumble to life only to then die a couple of seconds later. in some cases i am able to rev the engine before it dies.

i have taken a video of what happens but i can't find the wire to connect my phone to my pc, grrrr, but when i find it i'll post it up

i've been told by the scrappies that it is my NATS system and that he can sell me the parts for it for 40 quid (ECU e.t.c), i just want to double check with you guys that it is the NATS before i go and waste my money lol

i just want her back on the road!!!!!!!!!!! :(

cheers, John :)

that sounds like your nats receiver ring john, lets hope you dont need the replacement ring re-coded to your key eh :eek:

ahh, would it not work if i got the ring off another car along with the key from that car??? and the guy at the scrappies said i should i have to change my ECU aswell?? i have no idea lol

yeh, this was covered a 2 or 3 of weeks ago john iirc, i think you need the key, ecu, ring and also a small control box too apparently (personally i would have thought the ring would be a generic receiver and only the key, ecu and control box were a matched set, but dont put any money on that lol :grinning: )

Mate I think I may have a spare transponder key in the sr and a spare key if its any consollation? maybe worth having a go with them before you start spending? will have a route for it tonight bud

Craig

Mate I think I may have a spare transponder key in the sr and a spare key if its any consollation? maybe worth having a go with them before you start spending? will have a route for it tonight bud

Craig

cheers mate i appreciate it! if i use a different key, wouldn't i have to change the ignition barrell aswell?

lol i havn't a clue to be honest, some people have said i might need the full set or re coding the ring or just replacing the ring, i'm going to try every option starting with the cheapest haha :p

oh and what scrappy is the sr in??? is it in liverpool or on the wirral in birkenhead???

Mate I was in a similar situation when my SR started playing up and just gave up in the end after spending way too much money on it. The scrappy is in Liverpool mate but I cant give a specific location as some of the lads on here want bits so its a tad unfair if they're promised them then just taken... lol

yeahh i havn't got the money to spend, but i want it back on the road!!!! was my first and best car lol

lol i appreciate it, i would give you a heads up first to check if anything has been dibbed, not fair otherwise init

i'm mainly after leccy windows lol i already have the looks sorted out, its just the niggly bits now..... along with starting the thing :p

Back