Weird starting.

I shouldn't be too hard on it, it has done 15,000 miles flawlessly...

This morning I drove to work. I couldn't be arsed stopping for fuel (I do 150 miles a day to and from work) and I got to work having done 330 miles to the tank. Tank was low - Needle was below the red part, but car wasn't chugging or anything.

Finished work, go to start the car... Now usually the car winds over once or twice and fires to life, today it wound over and over and over, nothing.

****, out of fuel. Go to start it gain, CLUNK - Starter solenoid throws, but no winding of the starter motor!

Turn the car off, back on, off, back on, after 4 or so goes it randomly winds over and fires to life as if nothing had happened, however my radio wasn't working. Bizarre.

Drive the 300 yards or so to Morrisons, do some shopping, get back in the car... CLUNK, no start. Then I tried again, wound over as if nothing had happened... This time the radio worked fine. Drive the further 50 yards or so to the service station, filled the tank all of the way up.

Back in the car, THUNK, nothing... car wound over and started (When it winds over it winds over quick like always) but again, no radio. No wipers either, but everything else (Indicators, headlights, interior light, brake lights) all work 100% fine.

Stop on the M77 at a BP as I didn't fancy driving on the motorway in a storm with no wipers, and as I turned the key off, the wipers moved half way...

I discovered that when starting, if I turn the key all of the way, the car THUNKs and won't start, but if i start the car with turning the key almost all of the way but then back off a little, the car starts up normally and everything works fine.

What gives? Bad Earth? Bad ignition barrel? (God I hope not....)

sounds like a bad earth (wirebrush terminals to shiny metal) so starter solenoid ain't getting enough juice to fully engage pinion gear before it can send power the starter motor.
and when it does fire up, a sticky worn ignition switch (separate switch unit behind barrel) ain't fully springing back to IGN position so remains stuck half-off unless you jiggle the keys (quite easy to replace the IGN switch)

Back