My car isn't starting or locking

Hi,

I'm new to this so I'm not sure if I'm posting in the right place (sorry if I'm not). I have a 2003 Micra so I'm hoping this is right.

The ignition sometimes sticks and my car won't start with or without the key for about 15/20 minutes. It's only happened two or three times since I got the car almost two months ago, but after the last time my dad googled it and found that graphite powder is meant to help. We used it just now and it did seem to loosen up, and turn smoother even though it did stick slightly a few times.

We probably turned the key quite a lot (without actually turning the engine over), and happy with what we'd done we were about to watch away but my key fob wasn't working when I tried to lock the door. It was completely unresponsive. So we got back in but now the ignition won't turn, and the steering has locked. So now we're at a loss.

I'm wondering if we've disabled the key? Do we have to reprogram it? And how do I do that if the ignition isn't turning with or without the key? Or is it something else we have to do?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, even if it's just telling me to post somewhere else haha.

You could always unbolt the ignition barrel and take off the black rotary switch at the rear to try. You'll need to tape your key to the immu ring to disable the immobiliser if you want to actually start it.

Back