Can't select 5th gear???????

Paul Smith

Site Supporter
Anyone got any suggestions, I was driving home the other day and the gear stick dropped a little so it was touching the top of the cat. It could still change gear but you had to lift the shaft up as you changed. Haven't really been to see until today. I figured it would just be the plastic socket that holds the stick in place as my car seems to go through these farely often, as i got under the car low and behold one of the bolts was loose so did that up checked all over made sure it was all good. Now when i tested it it will not select 5th gear without pulling it up. We're talking half a mill? (as apposed to the half an inch before i bolted it up) This seems very odd to me, i could strip it all back and use washers to keep the shaft high enough but i don't think i should have to, anyone with any suggestions?

Had a look around the engine bay everything seems ok, does anyone else have any play up and down with there gear stick? Bet the thing that holds the ball socket has cracked somewhere that isn't obvious. Its not a hard job but a bit fiddly and annoying.

You won't be able to see it, the rubber in the mount will just need replacing, would also explain why you got through so many of the socket things.

Last time I did one on a pug I just got the whole mounting off a car in the scrappers, it shouldn't take too long just changing the rubber though, suggest you get a haynes manual though. Oh and some of those new polyurethane ones as they're much stiffer

where is a good place to get these polyurethane rear engine mounts? Although i have uprated nismo mounts that are only about 2 years old already on her?

Ok seems like an odd one driving home today and there was no movement and went in and out of gear no worries ? I will definitely check it all over though and have that ball socket out.

Back