Issue with 5th Gear tonight

Hi Guys,

On the way home tonight I was in 5th gear and then all of a sudden it seems to have popped out?! I put my foot on the clutch to put the gear back into place but I heard a grinding noise like it was teeth.

I put it into 4th and pulled away. I drove home in 4th and found out that 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4.th are fine.

When I got onto a straight with no one else around I tried to put it into 5th again and it felt like it was being pushed back out. If I kept it held in place If felt like something was tryign to push it out (a bit like the feeling of broken teeth on a cog).

I put it back into 4th and drove home.

So... any ideas what this issue could be? a New gear box needed? or is it syncromesh or and joins that may have come loose?

Any ideas at this time would be great as a little desperate.

regards
Mark B.

Thanks for your reply frank... any idea on what it could be though? Anything fixable?

Also, the last couple of days it has felt a little to easy to pull out of 5th gear. I only had to lightly touch it and it would go into neutral.

if it was just slipping out i would suspect the indent spring/ball, or rear engine mount if jumping out on power or lift.
but if it is hard to engage i would suspect a bent selector fork or chewed syncro

Hi Frank... If I remember when the clutch is down its not hard to engage but when lifting the clutch it was it pops out..

a benk fork or chewed syncro. would that not mean other gears would be the same? are these parts easy to replace?

paul (pollyp) has stripped his on his blog mark, you remove the ring of bolts and lift the casing off the clusters, but the selector mech is a bit of a chinese puzzle tho !

Possibly why Paul's the only one who's managed it so far... :D.

haha guy!

on my other car had this same issue but with 4th! and i swapped out the box, not hard on these though not at all

Hi guys, thansk for your help so far on this..

I've put a shout out on 247spares for a delivered gear box and also tapped up a mate who i'm waiting to here back from about a gear box.

bear in mind that the pre-face 1.0 and coilpack ones are different, and the 1.3 one is higher geared eh mark

Back