can my bumper be sprayed up?

CMF_funky2nite

» CMF Member
sry fellas for askin such a dumb question... xD

but am totally mislead after reading lots & lots of guide's on how to spray your stock bumper. but am sure if the guides are referring to the black stock bumper on an already coloured factory bumper.

here's my boring black bumpy.. for your reference
N73photo3186-1.jpg

Winston's micra thru google(wannahave same bumpy :) )
27-04-08Winton_NissMicra2.jpg

I'd appreciate any opinions from anyone who's 100% sure mates.

I've been reading long through guides & how to's + that I'm super interested in doing so am long awaiting your reply. if I do it, I'll try to do it correctly with flexible primer not looking in having cracks after painting the bumpy.

btw every1 I know my micra ain't anythin special at just 54bhp loool

what are my chances in being left behind by my friend's punto ? It's an SX supposedly at 75bhp
(friend's punto)
mattpunto.jpg

thanks everyone!
ian - Malta

mik

» CMF Member
I would suggest you to first clean the bumper with soap and water, then sand it with a really fine sandpaper.

After that make it fat/silicone free with turpentine, after that you should'nt touch it with your fingers.
Make shure you clean it somehow where you can spray after the cleaning, without touching it to move it.

Then make a nice thin layer of primer. (spray layers in cross motion)

After that start with layering the color, make smooth and thin paint layers, don't be too urgent or to near the bumper, as to much color will make it drip.

It's not that hard, if you work clean and slow. let the layers dry, before you start again layering.

Another advice i can give you is, if you spray outside, then wait for a nice day! i sprayed once and it suddenly started to rain, before the paint was dry!

And make everything around you wet with a waterhose or something like that, so that a wind can't burst some dust or whatever onto your fresh paint. Keep the cat/dog/baby/sister/etc. inside the house :-D

at least have fun! and show pictures :)

CMF_sportsclassic

» CMF Member
mik WROTE:

"I would suggest you to first clean the bumper with soap and water, then sand it with a really fine sandpaper.<BR><BR>After that make it fat/silicone free with turpentine, after that you should'nt touch it with your fingers.<BR>Make shure you clean it somehow where you can spray after the cleaning, without touching it to move it.<BR><BR>Then make a nice thin layer of primer. (spray layers in cross motion)<BR><BR>After that start with layering the color, make smooth and thin paint layers, don't be too urgent or to near the bumper, as to much color will make it drip.<BR><BR>It's not that hard, if you work clean and slow. let the layers dry, before you start again layering. <BR><BR>Another advice i can give you is, if you spray outside, then wait for a nice day! i sprayed once and it suddenly started to rain, before the paint was dry! <BR><BR>And make everything around you wet with a waterhose or something like that, so that a wind can't burst some dust or whatever onto your fresh paint. Keep the cat/dog/baby/sister/etc. inside the house :-D<BR><BR>at least have fun! and show pictures :)

I have painted them without rubbing the bar back, that is if the bar has no marks in it, just use a plastic primer, you can buy them in spray cans.

CMF_crumpets

» CMF Member
I did my whole car just using prep method of scouring pad + 800 grit sand paper and 1600 wet n dry sand paper for the bars regardless of condition.

Rub it down with some steel wool/scouring pad and give it a light go over with some 800 paper then again with fine wet n dry 800ish (if you are anal about it)

Turps works to clear off any junk or silicon (from armorall etc), give it a once over with some primer to make sure all lil nicks and dents are visible and then fixed prior to spray.

Then spray away.

My car turned out pretty pro, no negative comments yet

CMF_funky2nite

» CMF Member
mik WROTE:

"I would suggest you to first clean the bumper with soap and water, then sand it with a really fine sandpaper.<BR><BR>After that make it fat/silicone free with turpentine, after that you should'nt touch it with your fingers.<BR>Make shure you clean it somehow where you can spray after the cleaning, without touching it to move it.<BR><BR>Then make a nice thin layer of primer. (spray layers in cross motion)<BR><BR>After that start with layering the color, make smooth and thin paint layers, don't be too urgent or to near the bumper, as to much color will make it drip.<BR><BR>It's not that hard, if you work clean and slow. let the layers dry, before you start again layering. <BR><BR>Another advice i can give you is, if you spray outside, then wait for a nice day! i sprayed once and it suddenly started to rain, before the paint was dry! <BR><BR>And make everything around you wet with a waterhose or something like that, so that a wind can't burst some dust or whatever onto your fresh paint. Keep the cat/dog/baby/sister/etc. inside the house :-D<BR><BR>at least have fun! and show pictures :)

Man you're all awesome! thanks for the advice king! in all I require from hardware store : turpentine , flexible primer, 800 grit & 1600 wet & sand & paint ...

Am i right guys? BTW if I had to smooth the lines in it to have it like winston's one what would I need .. any ideas?

CMF_funky2nite

» CMF Member
crumpets WROTE:

"I did my whole car just using prep method of scouring pad + 800 grit sand paper and 1600 wet n dry sand paper for the bars regardless of condition.<BR><BR>Rub it down with some steel wool/scouring pad and give it a light go over with some 800 paper then again with fine wet n dry 800ish (if you are anal about it)<BR><BR>Turps works to clear off any junk or silicon (from armorall etc), give it a once over with some primer to make sure all lil nicks and dents are visible and then fixed prior to spray.<BR><BR>Then spray away.<BR><BR>My car turned out pretty pro, no negative comments yet

Thanks man will be awaiting to know about the smoothing & try to find the best time to do the job... ye of course I'm gonna do it outside cos I got no garage..but who gives a xitt .. I'll do it either way I'l follow as you told me wet everywhere around. put the dog ON leash :/ & start it all.

thanks mates!

CMF_funky2nite

» CMF Member
smallrat WROTE:

"

Hi!its not winston micra. It is mine at winton raceway.:)

are you serious rat?? oh looooll ee! I'm sure when I got to save the image it was names winston's something... xD my bad man!

cheers mate!

Bumper filler would I need any of it for smoothing the lines in the bumpy?

Back