In need of your long MICRA Xperience guys - desperately!

funky2nite

Ex. Club Member
I have been having problems with my K11 which has never experienced thorough stress, it's still at 47,000 miles or km's I'm unsure sorry :/

in the last months, it has been INTERMITTENTLY dying while idling.. i.e. it cold starts perfectly ok in half a turn, some time while driving it starts knocking whenever I hold the brake to stationary than it stalls if I don't press the accelerator.

Which is absolutaely embarassing in traffic as I can't keep revving it up when in stationary. I've been through long traffics and nothing happened but as I said it's intermittent, a week's ok than 2 days go bad..then good again. Another symptom also, when it starts about to stall & I put it in a low gear and take off it kinds of miss a little bitkind of this ... I myself have the gas pedal pressed at a stationary position, and the car at the time goes vrrrm..vrm vrm..vrrrrrrm.vrrrrrrrm like it's like choking on something than it drives ok... the symptoms only are felt whne in low speed and stationary and NOt always.

Now, the car is 14 yrs old but in extreme good condition and I am 100% sure that the engine condition is wonderful even it's running sound.

I belive that this started when once, I let the car drive extremely low on fuel and after filled up at a fuel station, I started it and stalled..I restarted and it stalled, my car never stalled before. in fact I became worried, I emptied the fuel filter and black fluid came out..I was sure that the fuel was dirty, but everyone says that it's more likely that my car had dirt in the tank than the pump was dirty as, my father in law has a micra and always fills up from this station and never had any problem.

I've replaced the fuel filter, recently I emptied the fuel filter and clean fuel is coming out, but after knocking sligghtly the filter with the pavement to remove any stuck fluid, several drops of black fluid come out still now but very little and after hitting the filter a little.

I've took it to the mechanic to clean the fuel tank, the mechanic said that after removing the bottom cap clean fuel came out and he shut it off again. the mechanic thinks that this is from the fuel pump, he thinks it is likely to be faulty or dirty from the filter.

so yesterday I've read throughouly the hanyes manual on removing the fuel pump and proceeded...BTW the pump is super difficult in dis-attaching it and are-attaching it back with the plastic housing especially when half immersed in fuel.. the fuel pump filter seemed to have nothing restricting it at all.

I've also thought that this was caused by the induction kit I've attached to the car from ebay which wasn't perfeclty sealed tight and maybe little dust could have gone in.. as like 2-3 months after installing the induction kit, this took place till now... so I bought an expensive STP carburettor cleaner spray and sprayed diretly to the carbutreotr opening and also washed the induction kit and selaed it a little better...I've also increased a little the rev's by that screw beneath the carburetor, but still nothing - by the help of an official nissan mechanic which I happen to know closely.

Now I've been pin pointed to three possible causes, either the fuel pump, which a new one costs around Eur50 ,or an engine tuning through the computer through the OBD which costs around Eur50 ( which in my opinion I doubt hwo likely it is to fix the problem this way, as I feel it's more intended in pin pointing the cause through the computer rather than ficing it again), or the ECU ,which when I asked the parts store he told me that he has a replacement electronic module for the micra which involves the fuel calculation or something .. .I think it's part of the ECU..

I'm not willing to go for all, risking not solving my problem, Firstly excuse my in-experience in the micra. Also I am assured that through all your long experience in the micra you guys are likely to give me the best possible cause from your opinion.

sorry for writing in long, but your conclusion is what I will proceed in doing, I know my micra is still in shape & has lots of life still left in it. And because of this I am really not willing to spend money on my micra as this is really SUPER annoying while driving or in traffic it seems like a trashy car stalling and re-starting. I know the micra is and always be reknown for its reliability!

I was planning to fill and colour code the bumpers this summer, mesh the grille, 'bumper fill the rims' (funny I know but I gonna try change the look of the original rims instead of having them lying around), and hopefully I should be getting the work van, which would earn me the possibility in re-spraying the micra to a more metalllic colour .

will be checking regularly the post, THANKYOU ALL GUYS! Cheers every1 !:eek:

Ian - Malta

UPDATE - for further explanation I uploaded this video of it stalling..maybe it'd helps..

: http://s267.photobucket.com/albums/ii296/funky2nite/?action=view¤t=micrastalling.flv

It sounds like a throttle body problem, from you video it would suggest that the idle is set too low hence when you rev it your getting a responce preventing it from stalling. Check all vacum hoses are correctly fitted and not leaking.

use a 6mm allen key to adjust the idle. the screw is located on the back left corner of the tb as you look at it from the front of the car. un-screw to raise idle.

If that doesnt solve your problem you may need a new throttle body or follow the guid to fix it: http://www.micra.com.au/technical-articles/cg13de-throttle-body-resoldering-guide.pdf

whats your exhaust like? my mates old corsas backbox completely fell in on itself - it died at idle revs but went when the accelerator was pressed... after all it was a corsa says it all haha. worth checkin the exhaust tho

It sounds like a throttle body problem, from you video it would suggest that the idle is set too low hence when you rev it your getting a responce preventing it from stalling. Check all vacum hoses are correctly fitted and not leaking.

use a 6mm allen key to adjust the idle. the screw is located on the back left corner of the tb as you look at it from the front of the car. un-screw to raise idle.

If that doesnt solve your problem you may need a new throttle body or follow the guid to fix it: http://www.micra.com.au/technical-articles/cg13de-throttle-body-resoldering-guide.pdf

I am trying the guide imediately! but am currently doing a video switching project which is due by tomorrow! WILL KEEP you posted!!

whats your exhaust like? my mates old corsas backbox completely fell in on itself - it died at idle revs but went when the accelerator was pressed... after all it was a corsa says it all haha. worth checkin the exhaust tho

What exactly do you suggest I check from the exhaust?
it's got a 4.3" muffler, if I seal the tip of the muffelr the engine doesn't die... what can I check from below the car for leaks ?

just removed the plate from the TB heated the 2 rows marked, and sealed shut with wurth gasket silicone.

'll leave to dry over night and give it a try tomorrow...

fingers crossed guy
s.!00000000000000000.

I think things have been mended up...followed the guide up yesterday... and since today nothing seemed wrong.. YET !!

hope this have saved my problem, cos you'd b worth BUCKS!!

cheers guys!
Ian - Malta

OH YES I think situation have been fixed!! 3-4 days now no symptoms at all !! woohoo my damn micra back again hassle free just like old times it used to bbb!!

:p:p HAHA Well what do you expect from the griffin badge!:p:p - American GM influenced ####! :down::down:

The back pressure created by your standard exhaust system is the optimum for running at the manufacturers ECM settings, if your backbox is holed or missing or if you have changed thie standard one for a ####speed, cherry bomb, etc... affects the engines settings and economy.:down:

Back