home made grille _

funky2nite

Ex. Club Member
I've been long to do this,,, and longer to put it here for our memebers..even though further improved examples are already available - which indeed helped me achieve this!

It's far from being perfect, yeah I know! but I LOVED DOING IT myself (Y)

as I already said in previous threads... I love reading threads with lots of pics.. and I start by doing it myself!

removed grille haha! :p
N73photo3581-1.jpg

salvatage micra badge for future reference, before destruction commences...
N73photo3592.jpg

Plan out your work , mark before-hand
N73photo3592.jpg

close up of line markings..... I know .. I know this is already becoming boring.. :glare:
N73photo3593.jpg

DREMEL tool for cutting such jobs is PERFECTO! don't comment on safety, which I should be ashamed of... wear protective eye glasses, and on an adequate surface on a work bench with appropriate light.
N73photo3594.jpg

cut centre part , be cautious to keep cutting in a straight line/... unlike myself..
N73photo3595.jpg

cut-out grille part
N73photo3596.jpg

Sand the sides down... as these needs to be filled using bumper filler or plastic filler so the filler can stick to the grille. I first sanded the big part using dremel 'sanding tool' then continued further by hand using dry sand paper
N73photo3597.jpg

same goes for this side
N73photo3598.jpg

centre part also needs to be sanded down due to the dremel not being able to cut flash with th rest of the plastic
N73photo3599.jpg

lightly sanded from all sides
N73photo3600.jpg

N73photo3601.jpg

further sanding by hand
N73photo3602.jpg

N73photo3603.jpg

N73photo3604.jpg

this is the sandpaper that I had in stock... it did well IMO :laugh:
N73photo3605.jpg

this is the bumper filler that was avialble from local wurth store (no need to comment on quality) :
N73photo3606.jpg

N73photo3607.jpg

hardener that comes with the filler... it should be mixed 2% hardener with 98% filler. so for every handful of filler.. I assume that a finger-nail size 'amount of hardener should be mixed'
N73photo3608.jpg

ohhhh ho ho ! I thought this was the best part...but it aint best grille time yet fwn
N73photo3609.jpg

very important to plan / sketch out your required parts of the mesh before cutting.. and it's important to cut out the largest required part firstly then the smaller ones can be easily joined together by the left overs of the mesh... unles you want to buy another one...., I used maskingtape to mark out the parts to cut.. I cut it out using a regular home scissors slowly and it came out quite good.

Also I learnt this from another club memeber's thread.. the sanded down parts of the grille needed something from ebnath to fill up the hole and onto which the filelr could be applied. for this I used the transparent part of a cd case whihc I marked with a pencil and I cut out using the scissors but more slowly this time...
N73photo3611.jpg

N73photo3612.jpg

I know GUYS THIS IS THE ####TIEST applied filler you've ever seen..this is my very first time trying to figure this thing out.. how it works how it mixxes and applies together..so please excuse me on this one :
N73photo3613.jpg

N73photo3614.jpg

it dried out before I had time to figure how to do it :laugh: .. I had a broken part which I filled also to strenghten it up..
N73photo3615.jpg

N73photo3616.jpg

I know it's ####ty... try to get something good out of this... I felt I shouldn't put only the good pics only in the thread..
N73photo3617.jpg

this is super cheap... I was amazed less then 5quid for a aerosol can with colour code paint
19062009084.jpg

19062009085.jpg

btw as I was about to spray I very lightly sanded down the whole grille with a light sandpaper like 600 grit then first coat.. then a super light & WET which was too light.. I bought a 2000 grit if I'm not mistaken but is too light..
19062009086.jpg

19062009087.jpg

it was left to dry over night..

then I bought a wurth silicone sealant transparent sealer to stick the mesh to the grille . I had to match two cut-offs from the mleft over's mesh.. as I left the largest part for the bumper part... :p so closely the two parts had to be aligned together to match their 'hole design' , they also had to be bedned to the grille shape lightly from the coreners.. and after applying silicone sealant I had to put weight on the mesh as itkeeps coming off the silicone... it;s really nothing near to glue.. it's simply flexibli adhesive fluid that takes ages to solidify... a better way would have been using super glue to attach it lightly in place then apply silicone sealnt al lthe way around.. I used paint buckets as weights

20062009089.jpg

20062009090.jpg

ta daaa! :blues:
20062009091.jpg

20062009092.jpg

rear boot not opened for fun REST ASSURED guys... not dat type of person!
20062009093.jpg

20062009094.jpg

20062009096.jpg

N73photo3619.jpg

N73photo3620.jpg

feel free to comment anyone,

cheers!
Ian - MALTA

You've done a great job there, I also like heavy pictured threads. Soon I'll be posting a Thread on how to Modify your Lip Spoiler, check my blog out for a sneak preview on how it loks so far.

This is great, just what i've been after! Im going to do it to my K10's grille.
i dont have that cutting tool though. What else could i use?

This is great, just what i've been after! Im going to do it to my K10's grille.
i dont have that cutting tool though. What else could i use?

eyy cheers mate, what y'all said was enough for me to even do it all over again just for you guys! I really find this place helpful, and felt like reciprocating in my way :laugh:

if you don't have a dremel.. you can do it using a hand saw like the one in this picture numbered 4

http://www.just-kids-furniture.com/images/hand_saws.gif

if you still don't happen to have that, ultimately you can use this kitchen knife, which I assure you would still do the job. the trick is not to push yourself at start then you won't have any left energy in your arm to complete it. So just cut it parts at a time with lots of intervals... using the knife would likely to get you the best cut, but it takes longer and it's harder mate.

When I gotta do something, I just do it with whatever tools I find, this may sound ridiculous, but those are the fundementals of any job..where you understand the principles of your tools and try to achieve the same outcome using other items. Let me not shove off the merit from some very high quality tools and machinery available nowadays in the market which relieves us from lots of hard work.

cheers Mr K10!

Ian - Malta

http://www.sharpeningsupplies.com/images/knife_parts.jpg

Nice work, not bad for a 1st attempt.
You see the white behind the mesh in the center...well i painted that bit black when i did it so you cant see it through the mesh...same with the horn.

Did you use my guide for help?
or did you do it from scratch?

Also..did the foot come with the spray paint? :p > http://i267.photobucket.com/albums/ii296/funky2nite/19062009084.jpg

eyy GUY micra! thanks! I'm not sure if I ever got to see your guide but there 's in link in your signature to it.. when I clicked it to see if it's the guide I've met with before.. it says you don't have enough priviiliges .. I guess I gotta be registered as a silver or gold user maybe..which is non-sense with the privliges one gets as I'm from MALTA and not in the UK.

HAHA SURE thing, here you'll get an aersosol can holder it's the shape of a foot! it's perfect for takin pics with the can staying place !!!!:laugh:

cheers!

Good first attempt! (Y)

thanks steve!

You've done a great job there, I also like heavy pictured threads. Soon I'll be posting a Thread on how to Modify your Lip Spoiler, check my blog out for a sneak preview on how it loks so far.

eyy chief thanks for your commetn! cannot find out your lip spoiler info... checked out through your blog! :wasntme:

funky2nite i went to Malta at Christmas stayed in Silema but went all around the island, where are you from there as im sure i saw your car, as im all ways on the lookout for Micras etc :D

MAKE SURE GUYS, next time you'll be over here make sure to let me know... not doubting that you don't know the place.. but it'd be nice to get to know you guys esp micra owners.. & I'm sure there's places you've never been to here! luvly MALTA!

Depends when last you've been here mate paddy..
wgc where do you stay when you're over here?

if you're on a budget.. I'll hint you on really cheap places and good ones too!

cheers mates!
Malta - your second home xD

Ian

ah cheers mate
I made a start to mine today!
got some mesh of an old ironing board and grinded it off, looks really good to be honest.
i asked my mate (Clio owner...) and he said you have to fibre glass it too so it doesnt crack :/

ah cheers mate
I made a start to mine today!
got some mesh of an old ironing board and grinded it off, looks really good to be honest.
i asked my mate (Clio owner...) and he said you have to fibre glass it too so it doesnt crack :/

you can either fibreglass it or fill it using a plastic/bumper filler mate.. but that goes for the grille of course and not the mesh.
nice to have you get going on yours (Y)

show us ur progress mate

THANKS CHIPED YOU're ALL AWESOME IN THIS CLUB..... HAHA WHAT'll YOU ALL SAY WHEN I SHOW YOU MY BEST MOD YET - COMPLTD TODAY!!

Back