Can inlet manifold be Stainless Steel

hissyfizzy

Ex. Club Member
This is one for those who really know their stuff :

Do inlet manifolds need to be made of that heavy Alloy/Chromium compounds or could it be made of Stainless Steel? I only ask because I have access to a balanced pair of Stromburg Carbs so instead of buying a scrap hitachi or webber if I construct a manifold from Stainless the attach these Stromburgs all would be good.

agree

if a replica of the original manifold was made from stainless steel that it would be TONNES heavier,

but i think hissyfizzy is looking to ddo a thin tubular equivelent .....now this would have loads less metal thatn the stock manifold and IMO will be lighter

hissyfizzy; correct me if ive miss-understood

I would LOVE to see the results when youre done.

Can you feed back some pics and some performance comments / results later?

Dont make a replica of the original one whats the point
Ive made one from thin wall stainless steel and was the hardest one i have ever made because you have to get all four pipes to be the same length,if you dont the shorter ones will be richer

Not a good design from a fuel point of view. Fuel doesn't like going around bends like that.

Amusingly Toyota used a similar idea on their corollas.. But made out of copper pipe i think (yes really) looked right out of a plumbing shop.

Bob your experiments with intake manifolds never cease to amaze me!

if you spend alot of time on the rollers getting the fuel mixture right it works fine, fuel hasn't any problems going around the right bends.
Its still pockets,sharp courners and ruff surfaces is what you dont want in an inlet thats when you get problems with freezing and adriatic fungus..

Ahhhh this discussion is reminding me of the looming deadline I have for my "Losses in Bends" report for my Fluid Dynamics module!

My results found the loss coefficient of a long bend like those is tiiiiiny, but that was tested under very different situations haha! :laugh:

Thats true, however hydrocarben emissions would be very poor on a setup like above. I.e. trying to get it to pass MOT emissions at idle. The slowmoving air carrying fuel droplets many would would fall out of the airstream and condensate on the inlet tubing, especailly on no1 cyl.

bob do you have a dyno graph of that inlet?

i would have thaught heat wrapping the inlet manifold in a design like that would help to prevent fuel condensation on the tubing. but what do i know?

CORKER POST Bob!!

I've never seen anything like this on an MA..Wikid

Science/physics and performance asside.....This is truly beutifull!!
And I would have one on my bedroom wall any day.

The burning question on my lips is:

how dificult was this to manufacture comparedwith your TIG alloy ebay specials

and ofcourse if you sold them side by side how would you price these respectively??

Cheers BOB (oh awesome inlet manifold one)

Ahhhh this discussion is reminding me of the looming deadline I have for my "Losses in Bends" report for my Fluid Dynamics module!

My results found the loss coefficient of a long bend like those is tiiiiiny, but that was tested under very different situations haha! :laugh:

lolz..we're not worthy!!!! (bow)

i would have thaught heat wrapping the inlet manifold in a design like that would help to prevent fuel condensation on the tubing. but what do i know?

this was the 1st picture i taken of this inlet,since then i have change it some what and wrapped it with micro bore central heating pipe.....
when it went on the r/r it was very rich at the bottom and lean up the top but after some needle swapping we got the co2 reading down to around 3 to 4% all the way through.

i no what your saying ED this is true the only problem i get with it is it tends to goes off a cyclinder in fact it wets up number 2 plug if i leave it ticking over for say more than 5 minutes,
this setup would be no good for road use but under racing condition were your on the gas all the time it works ok

I am even building similar one which i think will be better

the rolling road graph is the one i posted up early in my autograss thread

you no more than you are letting on mate...

Back