burning oil - what is the common culprit??

Hi,

i use my K10 micra for long distance travel to work (90 miles/day). I don't speed to much although it is tempting. I heard the engines on these cars start to burn oil after a long recorded mileage. I have heard that the piston rings can wear out and need changing but i also heard that a washer in the fuel pump on some other makes can go and start mixing oil with the fuel mixture.

so far its done > than 71k on the clock and not given me a problem . I change the oil every 15k hoping it will last long but I just wanted to ask others who own K10s' if they have experienced an oil burning situaton and if so, what were the common problem(s) they found.

cheers

Mani

Not changing the oil regually doesn't help as it loses its lubrication properties, 15k seems a very long interval, i aim to change the oil every 5k i think nissan recomend 7

low milage engine

i have a very low milage(36k) 1.0 ma10 engine for sale if yours is shot which if its using oil it is £80

Thanks mate,

I thought once this car gives up then i will get a nice 2nd hand X-Type. this gives me a chance to save up and learn some machanics on it while its in my hands. i hope my nice maintaince of it will make it last. i heard these cars last upto 120k miles. has anyone's K10 lasted longer than this without serious fixes?

mine was on 118000 and going strong until someone crashed into me, i reckon it could have done another 30000 or more before it needed serious work doing.

122000 before it broke a valve. It was starting to burn, changed the valve stem seals but did nothing, turns out the rings were indeed nakered.

well in have been doing 90 miles/day for the past 9 months in my K10 and i do hope it carries on. I only do around 50-60mph so it shouldn't hurt it too much but it is shocking poeple who thought it won't last long on long journeys. thats what i call "shock and awe".

also is there something i can put in the oil to keep it thicker at higher temperatures, it will prevent too much wearing of engine components?

just use the best quality oil you can get, 'cheap' oils tend not to have the same shear qualities or viscosity that the better, more expensive oils do.

o no! mine burnt oil then got really bad! and its still not running now! lots of work and frustration! tbh see how it goes but if it does conk out go buy a scrapper engine, saves money and stress!

A mechanic friend told me to use 15-40 (or did he say 15-50?) oil on an older engine... he said it would burn less.

What do you guys think?

It'll burn less if your problems the rings, because the oil will be thicker at higher temps, but the oil viscosity is recommended because thats the thickness it needs to cover everything in the engine - if its too thick then it wont get into all the places that need covering.

Having said that, if the solution is change the engine anyway, you could always try it, just hope the engine doesnt conk out on an important trip, and keep your AA membership up to date :D

I change the oil once every 1 or 2 years. All my assorted bangers have thrived on this austere treatment. Over the years they have all met their demise through corrosion and never engine failure so it would add to the running costs to feed them oil. It is the economic logic of the banger pilot. Though of course people who seek longevity and performance would probably do better to change the oil more regularly. At the same time I have never had a problem with burning oil or any other engine problem. To some extent the frequency of oil changes is dictated by manufacturers claims. Nobody ever properly assesses the viscosity and lubricating properties of old oil and, like crystal healing, spending money on new oil, synthetic oil, additives.. etc could have a placebo effect and make you feel the car is being treated well.

I'll get my coat

i change my oil every 5000 and use mobil 1 0w40, although i have castrol rsx 0w40 in at the moment because i couldnt find any mobil.

Back