Burning Oil?

Gurpreet

Ex. Club Member
So the neighbours K11 has done 60k (1.0 S, 2000)... he said that.. some of the engine seals? are usu. made of cork?? so after a while they start to breath more... another friend said that you can buy something from Halfords to put in the engine which will 're-seal'... is this possible and what is this magic stuff called?

I don't think he changes his oil every 6 months like me... my car is fine so I wonder why his is burning oil.. I've never had this problem with any Micra I have owned... just thought I'd help him out he's in his late 70's...

Maybe he thinks its burning oil, just because it isnt changed or topped up like it should be! Does he not realise oil goes down from day to day use?

another friend said that you can buy something from Halfords to put in the engine which will 're-seal'
You can get oil additives that are supposed to miraculously fix knackered engines by sealing up internal leaks, but they are notorious for gunking up the engine and killing it faster. Usually used by dodgy car salesmen to temporarily reduce the smoke!

As Lewic says, there are no magic fixes. If there were then mechanics would be out of work!!

Is it definately burning oil? How fast is he losing oil? Is it definately not a leak (check the driveway for oil stains). When he revs it is the exhaust fumes slightly blue?

You can get oil additives that are supposed to miraculously fix knackered engines by sealing up internal leaks, but they are notorious for gunking up the engine and killing it faster. Usually used by dodgy car salesmen to temporarily reduce the smoke!

its caled wynns stop leak and this statment is untrue.

the wynns stop leak doesnt "gunk" anything up, they are there to re-juvenate "RUBBER and PAPER" seals, they sofetn the seals and give them a fatter profile.

but they do not clog the engine up,
although if its an internal leak then this isnt going to help.

Is it definately burning oil? How fast is he losing oil?

Ah huh... no leaks on driveway... I'd have thought that there would be some visible signs of leak somewhere I shall take a closer look... exhaust fumes are thick white.. think he overdid the oil, would drain before it killed the pistons but will probably be lost within a few weeks... the rate at which it is being lost is not too fast but it does lose it quicker than mine...

I change mine every 6 months and I hardly notice the loss as the oil is pretty much near the MAX marker... his is just under max within 2 weeks...

wynns stop leak
that's the stuff...

confusing... will try the wynns stuff... how long does it last? If no joy then its a trip to the garage.

Thanks

http://www.wynns.be/product.aspx?nav=1&g=1&s=25&b=506&p=50664&l=EN

just looking at the site and ah hah sounds too good to be true... if everyone could solve their leak problems for £5 then no one would replace oil seals... it says that it'll take effect from 200 miles... and the site also says that seals may be dry? Why would seals dry out? Low oil? Will try it anyway... taking it with a pinch of salt at the moment... thinking about it... everytime the oil is due for change do you need to add the stuff again??

how on earth does a seal get dry thats in the engine?, cause if the magic fluid can get to it so can the oil so it wont ever go dry lol

Blue smoke usually means he is burning oil. White smoke is normal combustion water vapour that is naturally produced when you burn fossil fuels - ie petrol. Unless this smoke is hanging around a lot, i.e. it doesn't just come of the the exhaust and then invisibly disappear into the air pretty quickly I wouldn't worry about it.

Blue smoke usually means he is burning oil. White smoke is normal combustion water vapour that is naturally produced when you burn fossil fuels - ie petrol. Unless this smoke is hanging around a lot, i.e. it doesn't just come of the the exhaust and then invisibly disappear into the air pretty quickly I wouldn't worry about it.

By the sounds of it when he says "Thick white" it's more than normal...I dunno.

Gurpreet...thick white exhaust fumes, isn't a good sign if it's there all the time. As maddave says, all cars emmit some white smoke (steam) when the exhaust is cold but once it warms up that should fade away. If it's hanging about then it sounds like coolant is leaking into the exhaust, especially if the smoke smells odd (often referred to as a 'sweet' smell). This is caused by a knackered head gasket, or a cracked cylinder head. Neither of which are good news...this could also be the reason your neighbour is losing oil.

Back