shock absorber and spring query

Hi,

I have a Nissan Micra K10. Its been in the family for 6 years and still going. It had 32K on the Clock and now it has just over 71K due to my long distance work travelling. I like the car as its very satisfying to drive even though it looks old and no one likes it. My dad says I will buy you a new car but I like the K10 so NO but I thought once it starts burning oil I will change the car, until then its K10 all the way. I must admit I do tend to take on the posh cars on the motorway but they don’t like the idea of a dodgy looking car overtaking their +100bhp car (well, its worth a try). I do regular checks on the car and I found out the rear end of the car is very bouncy. I jacked the car up and saw the rear driver side shock absorber had leaked all its oil. I want to change both rear shock absorbers myself as I am a mechanical maniac and enjoy the work. I had a look on other threads relating to this and you all make it sound so easy to change. What I wanted to know that is the shock and spring all one complete unit or does the spring need to be compressed to take out the shock ???? By the way how much do these oil shocks cost if they are still made preferbly Nissan genuine part?

Thanks

Mani

Rear springs dont need to be compressed. Just jack up the car, and undo the locking nut on the top of the suspension strut on the inside of the boot. You'l need to keep the pin bit still whilst turning the nut. There's also one nut at the bottom of the shock absorber holding it to the car. Once you've removed them both, the spring will just pull off of the shock.

Shocks and springs i dont think come as a single item, you need to purchase both seperatly. Boge shocks are very good along with Kyb Gas or oil ones. You could however go to nissan if your after official nissan ones, but for the price, it may be worth buying the others ive suggested!

Welcome to the MSC btw.

Back