Braking Setup ------------------------

Hi, i know its probably been covered x nount of times but give us something to talk about :) ok am looking to get a brake upgrade very soon, as im aware the there will be alittle pedal travel untill the calipers bite the discs, ao what master cylinders would fit from another nissan to compensate the pedal travel?

Also are the almera 1.4 calipers the same as 1.6? if not which is better and from what year almera would i need, as i am currently running my car with 14" wheels and am sticking to this size!

Cheers

J

Do you have trouble with your brakes?
I have standard discs and everything but I switched to GreenStuff pads last year which improved braking performance and they've yet to lock up, even in damp conditions.

no problem with current braking, but as im going turbo id rather know and feel i have better braking with vented discs rather than solids and small calipers.....

J

You do know how a braking system works? Just because they're vented doesn't make them better it just means they cool down quicker

You do know how a braking system works? Just because they're vented doesn't make them better it just means they cool down quicker

Yep, i know how brakes work very well!!, cooling down is a key factor as it will lose brake efficiency, i know there will be pedal travel but by changing the master cylinder will help and can eliminate that other than that would be great to fit a larger servo, but from what nissan motors can these be retained from and bolted to the trusted micra?

j

i would be very concerned if my brakes were unable to lock up scott !
I rarely brake hard. I tend to avoid using my brakes and rely quite heavily on gear changes.

They would lock up if I used them hard enough but I've used them as hard with the GreenStuff pads as I did with the standard pads and had no lock ups :)

Almera N15 GTI front brakes are a good and easy upgrade if you want more braking power, they need at least 14" wheels.

I´ve got one set of those but i have not decided yet if to install them anywhere...the original K11 brakes are decent anyway :)

Yep, i know how brakes work very well!!, cooling down is a key factor as it will lose brake efficiency, i know there will be pedal travel but by changing the master cylinder will help and can eliminate that other than that would be great to fit a larger servo, but from what nissan motors can these be retained from and bolted to the trusted micra?

j

I run a bigger bore master cylinder 23.81 (standard 19.05) I believe it's from a primera

Did u know that all the pedals can be adjusted.

K each pedal has a working travel 'range' from fully released to fully engaged. That's all defined by the mechanical/hydraulic systems at the end of the cable/hose.

At the pedal end, u can alter where the pedals range begins and ends "relative" to each other, particularly the brake and throttle, by adjusting the resting stoppers and the actuating cables/rods.

When I fitted larger front callipers, the MC obviously had to travel abit further to displace enough fluid to move the bigger piston the same distance.

This increase in brake pedal travel (from fully slack to when the pads start to touch the disc) meant the brake pedal was below the throttle pedal when I braked, which I didn't want when heel&toeing.

So I unscrew the MC shaft from the brake pedal bracket slightly to move the working 'range' higher, and also adjusted the resting stopper bolt and brake switch to match.

The braking point was still only slightly below the throttle pedal but I can't lift the brake pedal anymore cos its right at the last few threads on the MC shaft.

When the throttle cable is adjusted so the pedal hits the floor when the butterfly is WOT, i noticed there's quite a lot of wasted slack between the throttle being fully shut and when the sprung pedal rests on the rubber stopper.

So I increased the rubber stopper thickness (with a spare bicycle brake block) to take up the slack and so the pedal rests lower relative to where the brake pedal starts 'braking' and is just how I like it.

If the brake pedal travel was too excessive for even these adjustments, then yea you'll need to fit bigger MC to shorten the working 'range' to suit the standard pedals.

nice one guys!! so the master cylinder is from a Primera? what model? on the Matser Cylinder are there any distinctive marikings i can go by so i know that i have the right Master Cylinder, also the brake pipe outlets, would the brake pipes need to be bended to shape accordingly to fit to the master cylinder ?

also a set of brake calipers from an almera gt, what sort of price would the go for, some geezer is telling me hw wants £85 for the calipers and master cylinder but the calipers aint gonna fit or would they? bit pricey to be honest!!

Cheers

J

Back