Braking Problems

When i am doing above 50mph and press on brakes i get lots of vibration from the car and peddle , braking effectiveness is minimized...any ideas? It also likes to pull to the left

You're likely to have brake disc warp, brake pads sticking on the sliding surface or sticking slide pins for the caliper. if they are newly fitted discs/ pads, I would check all the mating surfaces are clean and free of any rusty lumps, especially the hub and the brake pad mounting slides.

Well i have had the car for about a year now and the brakes were on the car when i got it but was not as bad as it is now, would you reccommend new discs and pads at the front? could this cause a lower mpg?

Well i have had the car for about a year now and the brakes were on the car when i got it but was not as bad as it is now, would you reccommend new discs and pads at the front? could this cause a lower mpg?

it wouldnt effect your mpg but its dangerous. get it checked out as soon as possible if i was you.

I cant see rust on the disc surface where the pads rub but there is rust on the outer part of the disc, should i replace the balljoints first? do you think the vibration could be from them more than the discs?

I cant see rust on the disc surface where the pads rub but there is rust on the outer part of the disc, should i replace the balljoints first? do you think the vibration could be from them more than the discs?

mine had big black/shiny scale type deposits on the inside faces (that flaked off when i chipped at them) you need to inspect your brakes and suspension first (or get them inspected) else its just guesswork really

mate, you should see some of the discs i have taken off, probably euroscrap sheite and they are definitely warped

i dont doubt that some discs may be knackered to hell lol
just if these were genuine parts then i will stick to my comment above.

i dont doubt that some discs may be knackered to hell lol
just if these were genuine parts then i will stick to my comment above.

I would totally agree, if they were genuine or OEM parts, but everyone IS costcutting with the recession, and the stupid thing they do is economise on brake parts and tyres!

I would totally agree, if they were genuine or OEM parts, but everyone IS costcutting with the recession, and the stupid thing they do is economise on brake parts and tyres!

i replaced my brake discs and pads with mintex and they are good as oem.

As many have pointed out the term 'warped disc' is inaccurate.
The correct tem should really be uneven disc.
If the car isn't used for a while rust will build up all over the disc leaving a clean flat surface under the section covered by the pad. This will cause the surface to become uneven (rather than 'warped')
Just like, if you drive like me or your front brakes are sticking (sticking pads, slides or piston) the brakes run hot. When you stop the pad and the caliper soak the heat from the area under the pad causing the disc to cool at different rates causing an uneven surface.

To summarise, if your brake pads or slides are sticking it will cause the disc surface to become uneven.

If you think about how disc brakes work, if the disc was actually warped, you would feel a vibration whether you were braking or not. If you only feel a vibration braking its because the discs surface is uneven.

Either way, you will need new discs and you shouldn't change the discs unless you change the pads too.

Back