"Scoring" noise on braking / afterwards

Evenin all

I've taken the drive down home from Preston to Suffolk to see my folks, despite having a bit of a noisy micra at the moment...

Every now and then (not always) there is a bit of a noise from the front wheel area when applying the brakes, which sounds like metal on metal, almost like a scoring noise if that makes any sense.

The noise then sometimes continues once the brakes are off, then eases off after a couple of seconds... next time I put the brakes down it either happens or not, it's usually when slowing to a stop rather than when just slowing down

You will know from my previous posts I'm no mechanic! Any ideas what this is - is it dangerous to drive back tomorrow? Would you advise driving some of the way then calling the AA because a noise 'has just started happening' :)

There appears to be no loss of braking efficiency, and when the noise occurs after the brakes have been lifted the brakes don't feel as if they're still applied

Last time the car's been in is for MOT in March and there were no advisories

I haven't got a trolley jack only the tyre change jack so can't really get under to have a looksie at anything. Any ideas?

Cheers!
Jim

esha

Ex. Club Member
Id have said pads and discs too (if the scoring noise has been happenin for a little while now!) and mayb the piston is sticking slightly or everything is binding which is why its still making a noise when you lift your foot off, get it into a garage as soon as you can nd get em checked out, of course it could just be that uve got grit or something stuck inbetween the pads cos my metro used to scratch under braking and it turned out just to be a stone, wrecked my discs tho :glare:

It was pads and discs apparently... WHOOPS - much better now (got it done on Monday)

Got my tracking done as well, it appears my vibrating steering at high speeds wasn't just 'old car disease...' :doh: it's like a sports car now... well sort of ;)

Cheers for the help - and apologies for me driving around in a deathtrap, won't happen again, promise

esha

Ex. Club Member
How much did the discs and pads set you back? just out of interest? Also im not sure the vibrations would have been caused by your alignment, usually its a balancing issue if you get vibrations, has it gone away now though?

Makrakin08

Ex. Club Member
same happend to me and i left it hole alloy is now done coverd in all the metal shards from disk and has rusted full alloy lol.

micra_tom

MICRA FTW!
oh crap my girlfriends motor is having the exact same problem...gonna have to get it seen to...thank god i read this.thanks for the heads up