Blower woes

CMF_LWC

» CMF Member
LWC now has a 1 speed heater fan, instead of 4 speeds.
Anyone have the same problem and fixed it?
I will look at the resistors in the air duct to see if they have a broken wire or burned through.
Anyone know where they are located?
Ta LWC

CMF_Sean

» CMF Member
Its the heater card underneath the glove box on the passenger side, near the side of the car.

Take it out (2 screws) then unplug it and get a new one from a wrecker.

I'd get 2-3 from the wreckers if you can, just in case the first one you buy doesn't work either..

Sean

CMF_LWC

» CMF Member
Sean thanks for the info. I pulled half the dash out before I traced out the card. The fusible link on the card is blown. I am making a fuse wire mod (replaceable fuse wire) as conventional soldering won't stick to it. Let you know how it goes. LWC

CMF_Yom

» CMF Member
Sounds like you're very handy when it comes to electronics.

May I also suggest you get to your blower and give it a clean out and put a bit of oil on the bearings in the motor.

Its not uncommon for the card to blow because of excessive resistance being caused by a dust build up or dry/stuffed bearings in the blower motor.

Good luck.

CMF_LWC

» CMF Member
The card is a metal base, coated with a white insulating layer, then the metal conductive tracks, and finally a brown insulating coating. Tried soldering but it doesn't take to the metal tracks.
I drilled through the metal in two places but the white insulating layer flakes easily so I lost some of the metal :-(.
I have a fuse holder and clamps to bolt onto the rear of the card and use the attaching bolts to conduct current from the front of the card through the fuse and back again. I'm going to try an 8A slow blow fuse.
LWC
PS I did relube the motor last year after it slowed down and it is still running okay. It has been really hot here during the day and maybe that killed the solder connection on the card.

CMF_LWC

» CMF Member
It's easier to repair than I first thought:
Materials:
short piece of 8A fuse wire,
two flat metal paper clips (not wire type).
Instructions:
release brown flat connector from behind fan in passenger footwell,
remove two screws holding card,
remove card and check for conductivity across silver fusible link which should be blown.
remove fusible silver blob with a knife/soldering iron from near top of card,
Prepare card by removing two areas of brown insulation either side of where the blob was (about 5mm square each).
Get two flat metal paper clips (1 piece, not the wire type), squish slightly in a vice until about 5mm thick (so they fit through the card slot in the car),
then use these to hold a short length of 8A fuse wire against the bare areas of metal next to the blob.
reinstall card.
Done!
LWC

Back