Bloody Oil Filter

I have changed loads of oil filters on different cars in the past but the one on the micra is a pain in the a**e!! Can't get to it from the top and , after jacking the car up, I can get my hand on it but there is no room to get it off!! Is there something I should know?! Even if I get it off there is no clear path for the oil to flow as it will run! Any ideas!?

Cheers
Jon

i changed mine before i put the new engine in, only thing i can suggest to avoid oil everywhere is to change your oil too, and obviously drain this before you do the filter!

Thanks, obviously I would drain the oil first but there is always a certain amount that gets out from the filter and i can just see it making a mess. I will try and get at it from the top then I guess?! Would be sooooooo much easier I am sure, if I had an inspection pit!

Thanks again.

Jon

naaah. let it drip all over. makes it more fun when your covered in warm black sludge.

if you put an old sheet under your car and wear old clothes there should be no problem. get under the car, jab a screwdriver through the filter and turn it. then keep going... if you like you can put some cling film over the suspension arm and driveshaft (if your cleaner than me that is) and after youve stabbed the filter let it drain for a bit.

I just changed mine over today, my first one ever, and it was unbeleivably straight forward, but then again i was using a four post lift and had all the right tools to hand! I was going to replace my g/box oil too as i neglected to do that when I fitted the clutch, but couldnt be bothered to take the starter motor and such off for about the fifth time in two months!

I tried doing it under my car on axle stands, with a proper removal tool. Fail, especially when you have long arms and no where to maneuverer them. Tried doing it from the top side, but again, fail.

I realized afterwards I could of just jabbed a screwdriver through it.

Back