Oil leak beside oil filter

paradox_

Site Supporter
Hey my K10 has had this an oil leak since I bought it. I always thought it was from the exhaust as I never was able to get a good look. However today I was feeling around and I think I've discovered the real source of the leak. It's almost impossible to see it looking down into the bay, but I took some pictures.

It is coming from somewhere near the blue plug, but I'm not sure that makes sense as the plug seems more electrical than mechanical? Some sort of sensor or?
attachment.php

Pretty sure that's where it's coming from though as it only leaks when the engine's running and after cleaning it off and turning the car on I immediately felt fresh oil there.

Honestly it's not a huge deal as the amount of oil it goes through is minimal, but it seems like it could be something really simple.

Here's another picture of where the line leads up to.
attachment.php

Any ideas/advice would be greatly appreciated!

Attachments

• IMG_1596.JPG
    IMG_1596.JPG
    131.3 KB · Views: 4,336
  • IMG_1591.JPG
    IMG_1591.JPG
    145.7 KB · Views: 4,330

porkpie700

Buy & Sell Member
Yeah that's the oil pressure sensor which plugs into the oil gallery, it's a common thing to happen particularly on 1L engines. Disconnect the wire from the main wiring harness (behind the airbox i think, or close to it), unscrew and remove the sensor, give it a clean and then wrap some PTFE tape around the threads. Screw it back in and tighten it up as far as you can without damaging it (don't over-do it, it's best to start the engine and make sure you don't need a bit more tape before you really nail it on tight).
PTFE tape you can get from pretty much any tool shop, machine mart, dixon hall etc...
Happy fixing (Y)

OP
OP
P

paradox_

Site Supporter
Wow that easy eh? Will pick up some of that tape tomorrow and post back with results. Funny how something so simple can make such a mess if it isn't taken care of.

Thanks for your help porkpie.

Oh by the way, if I go pulling it out with an engine full of oil can I expect similar results as if I were to pull out the filter?

edit: thought about it a minute, I suppose that's a silly question as why else would it be leaking oil in the first place?

porkpie700

Buy & Sell Member
Yeah you'll get a bit of mess so it's a good idea to put a bowl under the engine. :wow:
While your working in that area it might be an idea to give it a bit of a clean so any future leaks will be easy to spot.

OP
OP
P

paradox_

Site Supporter
Hey got around to it today and everything seems to have worked out. Only thing was the sensor wouldn't go all the way back in. I suspect there's a bunch of old teflon tape in there. This led me to believe there was too much on the thread the first time I tried putting it back in and when I took it out a bunch of the new tape stayed in there...So I added a bit less and got it pretty far in, but didn't want to force it.

Important thing is there's no leak anymore and I'm gonna try to tighten it up a bit more after the next time I get the engine good and warm.

On a side note, was replacing the brake pads today and noticed the part the caliper slides around on was a bit stuck on one side. Took off the booties and what do you know, the idiot who had the car before me didn't bother covering these up when he painted the calipers...On side wasn't too bad but I still haven't managed to get the other sliding around yet.

Anyways yeah, thanks for all the input on this one, landlord will be stoked to have their front drive at least a bit less splotchy now.