Bits and Pieces

CMF_White Knight

» CMF Member
Well spring has arrived. Planted the seed potatoes, onions and lettuce in my totally organic vegie garden.F... cat adds to the organic content as well as taking out a few plants as well.
Days are starting to get longer which means you get some daylight after work to do stuff.
Finished my little heat shield for Hack which sits between the engine /turbo and over the top.
Used lightweigh alum. kind of stuff builders use for flashing/ heat shield behind stoves etc. Easy to bend cut and put a layer of fibreglass exhaust wrap between two layers of the alum.and bolted together.A heat shield sandwich !!
Maybe it will help a bit to direct more heat out of the engine bay and now looking if I can insulate the airfilter a bit better from engine heat.
Nothing much left to do with Hack so its chase the little things.
So happy with it. It gets better with age.( unlike the owner)

CMF_evade

» CMF Member
heatwrap sandwich sounds like a good idea!

where'd you get the aluminium from?

I made a heatshield for my exhaust manifold..it was stopping the bonnet getting hot..but seemed to direct the heat to the airfilter (located to the right of the heatshield..)

need to really cover it up and block that airfilter off I think.

same with my cooler pipe..Its cold up until you get to the top where it enters the tb. I might look at shielding that too.

..the little cooler does a good job and I think ill leave it. intake pipe is nice and COLD..besides what i mentioned above.

cisco

» CMF Member
Hmm great progress David. Its great when you get some time for the little things like this. And yes welcome to beautiful spring. Today and yesterday have been beautiful weather - its nice to feel the sun.

I need to do some improved heat shielding also. Need something in place of a turbo bag to wrap around my turbo's exhaust housing, then also need to fix up and protect my intake a bit more. I don't really like my current intake pipe all that much.

CMF_White Knight

» CMF Member
I bought it at a Mitre 10 hardware store. Look in building materials section. Its very lightweight and very flexible, like can bend it very easily. On its own be useless but put a layer of say exhaust wrap in between two layers and its still very flexible.IF you want to go at right angles just buy some alloy channel and bolt that to it.
Yes Cisco,its nice to be able to pick up a spanner without it freezing to your hands.Why do spanners slip more in cold weather ??

Back