Bigger wheels, good idea?

Hi Folks,
Noob here,
just scored a nice little 95 Micra 1 L Auto..would i be right in thinking there is 13"ers on this? The tyres are pretty scabby but i've got a chance of getting some good tyres cheap, thing is they are attached to 03 micra 15" wheels...would these be a straight swap? more important would it be a good idea..my initial thoughts are it would screw with the speedo and maybe mess up aceleration.
Any thoughts or experience of the same would be great.
cheers,
salty

i wouldnt have thought it woud make a massive difference to the speedo! maybe 1 or 2 mph if that! loads of people have put bigger wheels on there k11 on here so cant be that bad of an idea

@ Kenzie..on that fitment site..on the tyre width field do you physically measure the width or is it written on the tyre.....also do you think the 15" will be a straight swop or will they rub the arches?

I think 15" would make the speedo run at the 'true' speed.

With 13" my speedo over-reads by 10% e.g 80mph on the motorway shows 72mph on the satnav.

@ Salty

whats on tyre. also you gonna need to know how wide the wheels are.
tyre-size.jpg

well i went from the 13"steelies to 15 by 7 alloys with a massive offset... the tyres are 195/50 R15 and they fit fine if you look at my blog micra dot rising to the top you will see how they fit with lowering by 50mm however mine do rub when laden and a slight rub on full lock but thats it... the only thing i will say is get better wheel nuts preferably locking ones otherwise the steelie nuts damage the alloys due to different angles etc...

Cheers Will,
these i5"ers i can get are not alloys (mores the pity) they're steelies from an 03 Micra.
whats that a K??
so i dont know the width, dont 'spose anyone owing an 03 will be on this part of the site tho'

def' chk out your blog later when i get time to have a proper read -)

the k12 fsm (manual) says 14" for steelies :eek: ? Road wheel size/offset mm (in) 14 × 5JJ Steel/40 (1.57)
15 × 5.5JJ Aluminum/50 (1.97)

@ Will.....A facelift eh' i always said i'd treat myself to one of those one day.

Altho' have you got this right? mine is a 95 Micra 1 L auto..is this a face lift ?

the wheels i may be able to get are offa 03 Micra ...whats that called....a K?

from what i've gathered so far is the 03 wheels are 15 x 5.5 so the Q still remains will they fit my 95 without resorting to any mod's... ie straight swap

i am running 15's on my micra and i know my speedo is a little out but in a good way, when i am doing 30mph on speedo i am doing 27/28mph in reality (Y)

Cheers Shaun,
yup..thats what i was a wee bit worried about...this place is riddled with cash cameras so reading slow would be no bad thing here (Sth Devon)

can always check via a satnav just to make sure but even that is not 100% accurate, nothing is that is why your allowed to go past a cash camera at 31/33 ish
(don't try it people) :grinning:
so you got any pictures to go along with this project fwn

oops sorry i ment the 03 is usually facelift but your car isnt facelift no sorry lol did you read my blog? not the one which starts with a renault 5

Thanks everyone, i won the 15"ers today on fleabay for a grand total of £1.04:blush:...just outbid a 99p sniper, Jeeze, i'm goina feel darn embarrased going to pick 'em up..four wheels, tyres are, one new,one good, other two, pretty worn..also large size trims maybe only two (thats all there is on the photo anyway ) still..... a squid....think i'm goina have to slip him a ten or twenty:blush:

@ Wills..checked your blog..nice job you did there buddy..spray that yourself?
@ Mckenziecz...whats the CZ on the end for? are you Czech perchance.. just asking as i spent a little time there

@ Mckenziecz...whats the CZ on the end for? are you Czech perchance.. just asking as i spent a little time there

Yeah mate, Im from Prague. Been living in Uk for nearly four years now. what kinda time did you spent there? business or pleasure sir? :blues:

Dobre den dude,
I spent just over a year in the east of the country, Moravia...a small but ubercool town called Uherske Hradeske (think i've spelt that wrong) Biggest city nearby was Bruno and nearest biggish town was Zlin.
I can honestly say it was probably the best year of my life, i bore the sh*t outta my mates with my tales of CZ, I didnt really pick up the lingo as well as i shoulda but i got by with the important words, like pivo and klabsa, Great thing about staying for over a year was we got to see all the seasons, you guys sure know how to party .
The reason we were there was my wifes factory was relocating out there and she was in charge of the move. So i got to go along too, we didnt know we were goina be there for that long hence me not making enough effort to learn the lingo.
So..i guess you've got a big fat carp in the bath for Chrismas just now? and plenty of slivo' for Silvestre?
Dobre Noches
salty

Back