Corrosion, advice needed - doesn't look good

Firstly, hello all.
My 2000 Micra K11 has some nasty-looking corrosion underneath, its between the rear wheel and the rear bumper, the section that the plastic bumper is attached to (the bumper stay?), but only on one side. This section has completely disintegrated, it doesn't look good. I've attached some photos, hopefully they're clear enough for someone to see and give me advice.
What is this section exactly? it only seems to hold the plastic bumper, it it something more important? The car passed its MOT test less than a year ago, and the damage was there then. A new exhaust was fitted, so the guy must have noticed the corrosion, yet he passed my car without mentioning it.
So, is this serious? Can it be repaired? The rest of the car is boss, never any problems. All other weak spots are taken care of and rust-proofed. I've had it almost 5 years and I really want to keep it if possible. I would be prepared to spend a reasonable amount to get it fixed.
Please let me know if you have any advice, thanks in advance.
DSCN1862.JPG
DSCN1854.JPG
DSCN1857.JPG
DSCN1860.JPG
DSCN1861.JPG
DSCN1863.JPG
DSCN1864.JPG

frank

Club Member
its not within 30cm of a load bearing area, so would only be an advisory as long as the bumper is secure (simple bracket of some sort)
i cut mine completely off on my previous car :)

Thanks for that, it like better news than I thought. I plan to remove the bumper to look at it properly when I get time, so I'll probably also cut off the rusted section. (The bumper would still be secure as its held on by 6 screw points in different areas). When you did the same, was it because yours was corroded also? Also, at what point should I cut it exactly? Please let me know, thanks in advance.
If things get complicated I will upload more photos with bumper removed, hopefully you can advise me on exactly where to cut.

Thanks for that, it sounds like better news than I thought. I plan to remove the bumper to look at it properly when I get time, so I'll probably also cut off the rusted section. (The bumper would still be secure as its held on by 6 screw points in different areas). When you did the same, was it because yours was corroded also? Also, at what point should I cut it exactly? Please let me know, thanks in advance.
If things get complicated I will upload more photos with bumper removed, hopefully you can advise me on exactly where to cut.

frank

Club Member
there,s a pic of mine stihl-sawed half off somewhere, but i can only find this one tho, and it was done during a weight shedding session :)

69370.jpg

Thanks a lot for that. i'll have a look in a few days. I suppose I should cut wherever the rust stops?
After I cut it off I'll clean the entire area thoroughly and rust-proof it. What type of paint do you think is best for these areas, for best protection?