Back again, but have a question about clutches

I have returned to the fold with the purchase of a nice little 1 ltr k11 that i have a few plans for, and now that i am working full time in a garage, these can be realised, but i have a question. We had in a 2nd facelift 1 ltr coilpack k11 today at work for a clutch change, all went well with the removal of the g/b and fitting of the new clutch, but, upon fitting the g/b back again, it took 3 of us nearly an hour of wrestling to get it to fit again, and this is on a ramp. Upon checking the friction plate on the new kit, it doesnt sit as proud as the old one, in that the on a level surface with both plates facing upwards, the new friction plate sits lower to what would be the fly than the old one, but we were assured by our supplier that this is the correct one, ECP if anyone is wondering, and we take that with a massive pinch of salt, any how, it is all back together and the bite point adjusted, but, when the pedal is depressed there is scratching sound, from what we guess to be the release bearing. Could this be down to the difference in friction plate or could the release bearing be knackered out of the box, or heaven forbid the release bearing fitted the wrong way round, which i doubt, dont forget this is a coilpack model

Not too sure on the differences with coilpack models and non-coilpack, if I remember it correctly the clutches are the same except in the case of the 1.3 engine, which had a larger clutch and flywheel.

It could be the actual friction plate itself is in the wrong way around, the center post is taller towards the engine side than the gearbox (again this is all off my memory, so it may be that the gearbox side is a bit taller) it seems you're already well aware of this though, and checked it properly against the old one.

In my opinion they may have given you the wrong part, I have to say it happens fair often down there, I've walked out with parts for BMWs when I wanted Micra bits.

The clutch I'm referencing here was a LUK one that I also got from Euro.

Turns out it was a faulty part, we didnt expect 2 of the rivets to have failed out of the box, once we engaged the clutch the others simply gave way and it simply started to self destruct, hence the scratching sound, all sorted now under warranty.

Back