Anyone removed their rear drums yet?

Guy

Has gone over to the oily side...
Club Member
I need to replace the brake fluid in mine after reading lots of horror stories about failed ABS pumps. I know the drums have the bearings in them but once the circlip is out, is it easy to remove the drum to get to the brake cylinders?

they,re usually straight forward guy, i remove the nut and bash the edge while turning, then i reset the preload of the bearing on refitting (usually nip it up to about 20nm, then back it off 20deg or so :)

Not sure the K11's the same Frank. The K12 drum has a sleeved protusion from the central hole that actually holds the wheel bearing (a Renault abomination, I fear :mad: ) . My fear was that if I remove the stub axle nut and circlip, the bearing would be too tight on the stub axle to pull the drum off :confused:.

aye, k11 is different eh guy, i,m going by the various french cars i,ve worked on, with studs (and not wheelnuts)

Guy it should be a case of removing the circlip and nut then prising the drum off, the wheel bearing shouldnt be a tight fit like the fronts are

No circlips need to be removed iirc lads, the centre nut has to be removed then the drum should come off with the help of a bar and hammer, don't be suprised if the inner of the bearing comes out guy it just pushes back in

I need to replace the brake fluid in mine after reading lots of horror stories about failed ABS pumps. I know the drums have the bearings in them but once the circlip is out, is it easy to remove the drum to get to the brake cylinders?

Unwise the 4 bolts behind the drums and remove them with bearing and centre spindle, service your brake and depress the bearing holding centre spindle through hydraulic press, the spindle (Bearing) and drum will left eachother.

I got a 2004 k12,had bearing replaced which were in the outer cover of the drum. Dunno if I'm just misreading *its been a long day* Once you take the outer cover off the bearings off with it. Other than that and having changed the brake shoes that's as much as I've done with drums. Anybody know if the clio drum is the same as the k12's?

Back