Another Turbo & clutch question

Time as come to turbo my cga3. It's currently fitted to my classic mini and making good power with a 4-1 manifold, custom Plenum and aftermarket ecu.

I'm sticking with the standard engine for the time being, hence keeping boost at 4-6psi due to the coilpack piston strength. I guess about 140bhp and similar ft/lb torque. Using a GT1752 Turbo.

I was wondering what's the best clutch options out there. Anybody having success with ga14 clutch or do I need a bigger custom setup?

I would really like something that is future proof if I fit forged pistons and up the boost.

Is yours a clubman front? Mines a round nose and have naff all room !!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In order to be future proof, you've really got to come up with a maximum expected torque figure.

As a guide, a forged CGA3 running ~1bar can easily make 200lb/ft depending on the turbo.

I'm guessing 140ft/lb max on the standard engine.. I've spoke to Matt Humphries and his 200mm kit is about £500. I was hoping for a cheaper solution. Maybe a ga16 kit and redrill the standard flywheel.

It's aparant it get very costly if I'm wanting anymore than 140bhp. Which I don't really need in a small lightweight mini on 10" wheels.

In order to be future proof, you've really got to come up with a maximum expected torque figure.

As a guide, a forged CGA3 running ~1bar can easily make 200lb/ft depending on the turbo.

agree with that from my own experience too.
set a realistic max limit ur ever gonna reach and fit a clutch rated well above that limit which you can afford, suits your application and pedal weight
(heavy duty single-disc clutch use very stiff pressure plates for high clamping force compared to softer & lower capacity clutches).

my turbo setup produced 150ftlb, I stuck with that but went through afew expensive clutch upgrades.
standard 180mm clutch handled over 90ftlb perfectly fine,
a helix 180mm paddle ceramic clutch could barely handle the 150ftlb turbo but quickly glazed when abused on trackdays & poor drag launches,
I'm now running the full 200mm helix organic racing clutch from matt humphris and easily handled over 150ftlb under all conditions but it ain't cheap and note pedal will be very heavy but can get used to it.

Any pics of the 200mm clutch setup? Did you have to redrill the flywheel?

link to my spec page
https://www.micra.org.uk/threads/pollymobile-ii-specification.65262/#post-730148

clutch.jpg

and yes flywheel needs redrilling

fly.jpg

Back