Alloys...Yet Again ;-)

ok this should hopefully be the last post about alloys.

picked up a set of fox alloys for £50 off fleaBay

test fitted them today (no tyres) but they look like they will be too wide for the arches.

specs are

4x100
et 35
cb 60.1mm ---> would i still need a spigot ring for .5mm difference or would i be able to pull it off without?

ok this should hopefully be the last post about alloys.

picked up a set of fox alloys for £50 off fleaBay

test fitted them today (no tyres) but they look like they will be too wide for the arches.

specs are

4x100
et 35
cb 60.1mm ---> would i still need a spigot ring for .5mm difference or would i be able to pull it off without?

1mm difference, and yes you should get spigot rings

1mm difference, and yes you should get spigot rings

meant .5mm difference either side of the centre if it is 1mm difference in diameter, then it will be .5mm difference in radius so the gap between the centre of the hub and the start of the alloy centre bore will be .5mm

meant .5mm difference either side of the centre if it is 1mm difference in diameter, then it will be .5mm difference in radius so the gap between the centre of the hub and the start of the alloy centre bore will be .5mm

True

Doesnt matter much anyway due to studs sticking outta the hubs. The spigots are only to help guide the centre of the wheel on the hub :)

Doesnt matter much anyway due to studs sticking outta the hubs. The spigots are only to help guide the centre of the wheel on the hub :)

Cheers for that, I will probably go get some 195/45/15 tyres tomorrow and see if the tyres foul.

But should 6.5j alloys be fine width wide under the arches or will they stick out and end with the police stopping me for tyres wider than the arches??

I cant see you having any bother with the outer edge being outside the arch, here's how they would compare with my old 155/70's on a 6" wide rim of ET13. Looks to me like its the inside that should be your worry. Are there not smaller 15" tyres available?

stewpots.jpg

The top edge of my tyres are well within the arch with the 155's. I've got 165's on the same wheels with a 10mm spacer now and they are still ok.

Cheers for that, just when they were jacked up the edges looked outside the arches

I can get 4 195/45/15 Nankang NS II tyres fully fitted for £150 so cant go wrong!! :)

Cheers for the info about the arches :)

When i trial fitted my alloys on mine,when the car was jacked up the wheels stuck out of the arch like you said. But when the tyres were on,they were fine. Some photos to help...

IMG_4229.jpg

IMG_4301.jpg

Yeah the 165s might have been a bit much on them then, particuarly in such a low profile. You made a good choice.

well fox only make alloys in 60.1 & 73.1mm CB, and it doesnt look like 73mm inside so i would need a 59.1mm -> 60.1mm spigot ring, and they are ridiculously expensive seeing as though it is only a 0.5mm piece of plastic! ;-)

You don't have to have spigot rings, the taper on the nuts will centre the wheels, just tighten gradually in oposites sequence to be sure (you should do that however good your centre location is anyway).

I've run my wheels without centre location for over a year and had them on and off many times, I've never had a problem. People incorrectly assume that the centre spigot has got something to do with supporting the car.

You don't have to have spigot rings, the taper on the nuts will centre the wheels, just tighten gradually in oposites sequence to be sure (you should do that however good your centre location is anyway).

I've run my wheels without centre location for over a year and had them on and off many times, I've never had a problem. People incorrectly assume that the centre spigot has got something to do with supporting the car.

+1 and amen :grinning:

cheers for that, that is generally what i do when replacing wheels anyway, just to make sure that the wheel goes on evenly.

+1 and amen :grinning:
yep, all to bed now, didnt get tyres today as i remembered this morning about 8am that i had a fluid dynamics exam at 9....was one of my fastest drives into uni through manchester rush hour for a while :D
will get tyres tomorrow/thursday and post pics ;)

(Y)dont think ive ever even had spigot rings on any alloys?? never snapped a stud due to the weight on the studs, or had an off centre wheel

Back