air intake..!!

CMF_jeff8022

» CMF Member
anyone have their air intake done (modified).. because i am thinking to get it done.. if you can post some photoes would be the best..!! thx

CMF_asdame

» CMF Member
i carefully enlarged the airbox inlet, hot glued a 60mm piece of pipe at the end

Attachments

• 56111.jpg
    56111.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 37

CMF_Micra_King

» CMF Member
While it works I would not do it like that. To much risk from water and so on. My father had a 280ZX when new and the air filter/intake sits behind the bumper (Low) and durn a big down pour drove though water a bit deeper than normal and got water sucked up into it and into the motor which then compression locked the engine at speed and seized it up (Bent rods and other damage). New motor cost a lot back then for it.

CMF_asdame

» CMF Member
no road salt cos it's summer over here,

no issue in dirt whether its from behind headlight/engine bay or from low down cos i drive on tarmac at a distance behind other cars and the air filter does what it does = filter out dirt.

i have k&n panel filter and always check and clean it when needed

it's common sense that when you have a low CAI you never just storm straight into any puddle/ford.
if theres a small puddle and theres no cars coming, i steer round it. if theres cars coming or its a big pool i slow down
if its raining heavy and there are large pools around, i temporarily take the CAI off
the nozzle is ahead of the front axle so not much wheel spray gets there

CMF_SSUK

» CMF Member
The airbox from a GA16DE is a good upgrade if you want to keep a good cold air supply. The CG13DE airbox, even modified is still a restriction.......infact the whole inlet system on the CG series engines are terrible and majorly holds the engine back. A good large OD pipe run with a cone filter will yield good top end power but has it's downsides, (hot air ingestion being one). Either way it's only going to yield small gains.

Just to show how restrictive the standard inlet manifold is we had the car dyno'd on a dyno dynamics RR before and after fitting a set of Jenvey throttlebodies. The spec of the engine was a CG13DE with standard head, block and compression, (9.5:1), 264deg (773 spec) cams, and the usual 2" exhaust tuned with a re-mapped ECU. The car was dyno'd at 105bhp @ 6400rpm, with peak torque around 5600rpm.

After fitting the throttlebodies and re-mapping the car made 123bhp @ 7250rpm and peak torque at 6000rpm. Incase you think that it's quite peaky and hard to drive 85% of maximum torque is available from 2500-7500rpm giving the car a VERY wide powerband. Not only does it make 18bhp more than before, (peak), but it makes more torque across the entire rev range, (making the old power figure of 105bhp at around 5500rpm), almost 1000rpm lower.

I realise throttlebodies are not in everyone's budget, but it does illustrate the point that the standard inlet manifold is not designed for power :(

Updated to include a powergraph -->http://www.micra.org.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=15548&d=1273688259

CMF_deNs

» CMF Member
Down here, N14 Pulsars will be the most plentiful source of GA16's. That said, airboxes aren't designed to only suit the engine, but the car as well. There may be a chance that not all GA16 airboxes are created equal.

---dens

CMF_Will.I.Am

» CMF Member
Hello.

I have a large K&N filter with a 100mm cold air feed going down behind the front grill.

Its works great, but the throttlebody is still the original K11.

The engine power is around 113HP

Im am going to try a new way, by using the org. airbox with a k&n panelfilter and my exiting cold air feed...

William - Denmark

Attachments

• 56173.jpg
    56173.jpg
    102.4 KB · Views: 40

CMF_jeff8022

» CMF Member
Will.I.Am WROTE:

"Hello.

I have a large K&N filter with a 100mm cold air feed going down behind the front grill.

Im am going to try a new way, by using the org. airbox with a k&n panelfilter and my exiting cold air feed...

William - Denmark

look good to me...!! thx

CMF_DECIM8

» CMF Member
I slapped a pod filter ontop of the throttle body and then removed the grill.. The power increase is huge, such a weird feeling just from good air flow. The standard grill prevents alot of airflow IMO. If you have no aircon remove the blocking plate too.

I will eventually route the pod filter closer to the front right hand side but its such an expensive process for a couple of pipes. I would use flexi its just ugly lol

CMF_jeff8022

» CMF Member
Will.I.Am WROTE:

"Hello.

William - Denmark

Just want to know the first elbow is it.. Silicone 90 degree Elbow 76to102mm 3"to4"

or what measurement is it..?

thx

CMF_SSUK

» CMF Member
jeff8022 WROTE:

"Will.I.Am WROTE:<BR><BR>"Hello.<BR><BR><BR><BR>I have a large K&N filter with a 100mm cold air feed going down behind the front grill.<BR><BR><BR><BR>Its works great, but the throttlebody is still the original K11.<BR><BR><BR><BR>The engine power is around 113HP<BR><BR><BR><BR>Im am going to try a new way, by using the org. airbox with a k&n panelfilter and my exiting cold air feed...<BR><BR><BR><BR>William - Denmark "</DIV><BR><BR>look good to me...!! thx<BR><BR>

113bhp is impressive power from the standard inlet system......what's the setup? high compression, cams, ecu, etc?

Nice filter setup, they work really nicely on a K11 and the heat wrapping to help stop hot air is a great idea :)

CMF_Will.I.Am

» CMF Member
Custom Air intake
Complete Janspeed exhaust system
Performance manifold,
High performance camshafts
Adjusted ignition timing to run on high octane (Shell V-power 99octane)

CMF_SSUK

» CMF Member
How were your air/fuel ratios on the dyno? Standard injectors are only capable for about 105bhp. Less really if you don't want to go over the normal safe limit of 80% maximum injector duty.

We ran a very similar spec....CG13DE, similar induction, BTB group A exhaust with a larger 2" collector and 2" system piping, 256deg 8.35mm lift camshafts and a shaved throttle spindle. The standard ECU would only deliver air to fuel ratios in the region of 15:1 on the standard injectors because the ECU would only deliver around 78% duty on the standard fuel map.

When we re-scaled the maps and increased the fuelling we found the injectors we were running at 99% duty in order to maintain good air/fuel ratios of around 12.8:1. We upgraded to UK spec GA16DE 198cc/min injectors to keep the injector duty at a sensible level, (around 70% using the larger injectors).

Judging from your initial dyno figures, you should settle around 120bhp final figure if you use the same dyno with good fuelling.

Back