Query for Cisco regarding "compact cold air intake"

CMF_Yom

» CMF Member
Or anyone else who has made this air intake setup!

Well, I am already frustrated with the lack of throttle response my micra has and I figure that at the moment is being caused by the standard intake restrictions.

Now because my engine bay is packed with stuff, the only logical option (apart from removing the battery, which while would be better for performance and handling, I cant afford to get the wiring for it and the possible engineering costs) is to do what cisco did to his white super s.

In this link here: http://www.micra.com.au/information/nissan-micra-articles/compact-cold-air-intake.php

Now my question is, cisco, do you have any measurements of the piping lengths?

Also, what did you use (if any) devices to hold the piping in place? Any brackets?

Cheers

CMF_Sean

» CMF Member
Tom...

3 Things... Go and buy 1.5m-2m of the PVC piping and a tin of PVC glue.

And cable ties

Its all trial and error mate you can't possibly go wrong... Took me all of 10 mins to cut/glue my parts and let dry overnight. Then slipped the end over the airbox intake and siliconed all around it (silicone to let it flex a bit)

Don't hang the scoop too low and WATCH OUT FOR PUDDLES for gods sake

Sean

CMF_Yom

» CMF Member
Hehe $20 is a very good price for lazy people like myself aaron haha.

Yeh I've been doing some thinking and although its one of the better ways to get cold air to my airbox, I do live in Sunny QLD where it is perfect one day and torrential rain the next. I think its probably not the best idea at all.

I'm starting to think that I could squeeze an old style (offset) cyclonic filter (like what came on some falcons, patrols, landcruisers, etc) into the little engine bay. Would require removal for spark plug and oil fills but that's no worries at all..

CMF_Toma

» CMF Member
Ive some questions too...

I cant go straight down because (from what ive been told) puddles will be a serious risk (i like driving thru puddles. :)) and also ive got a fray of ABS pipes thru the back of the engine bay. Now, i spoke to a mechanic mate of mine, and hes been doing it for decades, he said to simple take cold ait from the same place the facorty intake gets it from. after much meditation on this, I realised it is about the coldest place in the engine bay :O. Sure getting a forced stream of cold air would be nice, but would it really be different?

I propose, that a big pipe going to the section of space the factory intake gets its air, would be a better trade off to the under-car scoop... but eh. what would i know!

Any thoughts?
Also, it would be cheaper, simpler, easier. :D

CMF_Snoopy

» CMF Member
I have a piece of a/c ducting pipe (same size as the throttle body) taking air from behind the passengers h/light, it works find & its one of the coldest places in the engine bay. Just modify your original airbox like cisco said, works great, doesn't cost much. Be careful of putting the air inlet to low, I have already lost an engine (in my gti) due to water being sucked in (it chucked a rod out of the block, very expensive!).

CMF_Yom

» CMF Member
Yeh, most petrol engines dont seem to like water.

When i couldnt kill an old briggs and straton 3.5HP engine on a mower i had by removing the governer and letting the little bugger fly, I tried to run it on an extremily potent fuel beverage with various substances. I made it shoot flame from the exhaust and intake, but the bloody thing kept on going.

Finally, while it was revving its nuts off I turned on the hose i had installed into the carby air intake. Only for just a second.

Engine stopped with some loud noises and lots of smoke.

Wish i had pictures of the hole the rod blew through the little alloy block. :)

CMF_squigbobble

» CMF Member
Toma has a similar line of thinking to me, the stock intake is positioned quite well to avoid heat and (more importantly) water spray (coming up through the engine bay, too). The only thing I could think of to improve that position would be to have some kind of scoop (either in the bonnet or a big pipe coming across from behind the grill) to feed cold air into that area but not directly into the pipe; thus avoiding the ingestion of water, small birds etc.

CMF_Yom

» CMF Member
Well the factory airbox is too small. The filter isnt big enough, IMO.

However, to improve it until you have the money for a decently sized TB - here's what I've done.

3" flexy piping, enlarged airbox inlet, siliconed around the gaps and i've run the piping to infront of the battery. Mine has alot of curves and I plan on fixing this up asap by installing a smaller battery and heatsheilding the area (allowing me to have almost no curves in the pipe from the airbox).

And let me just say - woah. It absolutely motors along now! Throttle response is slightly better and the sound of the engine has changed completely. The exhaust note has also gone deeper at idle and high up in the revs it screams.

from about 4500rpm to redline it absolutely screams in 1st, 2nd and 3rd. 4th i havent opened up because I'd break too many speed limits! It sounds like a 350Z when you get to 5000rpm....

Definately worth the $37 i paid for the piping $40 i paid for the Ozito dremel-look-a-like and 30 minutes it took me to complete.

Absolutely stoked and how much more guts it has now - right from idle too! Pics soon i suppose.

CMF_Yom

» CMF Member
Yep just behind the headlight at the moment.

It is not finished - the piping is far too long and has too many curves to get smooth airflow.

I've got a suprise up my sleeve though.... ;)

CMF_Yom

» CMF Member
Hehe. Just purchased the same Odessey battery cisco has for $130 delivered to my door with the required gold connectors for it. :-D 8 months old with warrenty and receipt. w00t.

When i get it installed i suppose i'll have to head down to clark rubber and get some of that heat insulation stuff and get to work on shortening the path the air has to take to get to the airbox.

And then i'll release my fabulous cold air source secret...

heh so excited - the tractability of the engine was improved so much with just removing the standard air snorkel. I cant wait to feel it with cooler and better flowing air.

Back