Accidental Cable Links....Amp Dead!

CMF_dandaman2234

» CMF Member
Hi I just install my amp into my K11. It worked for about 10 secs then nothing. I looked at the amp 'on' indication light and noticed it stayed on when the stereo was off. I routed around for the problem and realised that I had wired the Remote cable to the Power terminal, and the Power cable to the Remote terminal. I switched them around and now the amp doesn't turn on at all. I looked at the fuse near the battery and in the amp, they seemed to be A.OK. Could I have blown the remote cable as I was accidental using it as a power cable?
Or is the amp DEAD??
PS. I used another an additional cable running from GROUND on the amp to the back of my HeadUnit to solve any ground loop/hissing problems if that helps.

Any suggestions?

Cheers
Dan

CMF_kneival

» CMF Member
You more than likely blew the stereo fuse or an internal fuse in the stereo for the remote cable.

To get the amp working short between the 12v main feed to the amp on remote connection and the amp should power up.

If so check to see if you have 12v coming down the remote cable when the stereo is on.

CMF_dandaman2234

» CMF Member
Hi cheers for the response. Ive fitted everything now and checked the remote signal on the stereo. I plugged an LED with protective resistor which is built for a 12V supply and should glow bright blue. Instead it light up as though a 4V supply was connected to it. I have temporarily connected my mums old stereo to the amp and everything is Ok. Is there anything I can do to fix my stereo's remote??
Going to take it to J.G. Bestwicks to see if they can help.
But any help would be much appreciated.

Dan.

CMF_Raman

» CMF Member
bro,

one way is to change the stereo another way is to connect direcly to your key switch on... which will turn on when you turn on the ign key.

i believe your stereo also have 2 cable, one is + and the other is ACC.. can connect to acc to your remote for your amp splice and add cable.. then your amp will turn on when you turn on your Key.

only issue is that the amp will be on even when your stereo is off.. might have hissing sound.

CMF_dandaman2234

» CMF Member
Hi guys thanks for all ur help. Ive bought a 1 amp fuse and holder for it, spliced into the remote cable and add it, then connected the remote cable to the acc cable on the iso block which already had a connector (intended for a crossover or equalizer). It worked fine apart from the popping noise. With all of thi done I decided to change my cd player back to my mums one because the ground or something within was causes a hell of alot of interference on the RCA outputs and there was no point in having it (the hissing sound was also present in my old car).

PS. Both stereos wouldn't start up at all if my aerial wasn't connected. Is this a usual thing to happen???

Back