amp problems

CMF_NISMO

» CMF Member
Today I had smoke coming out of the sub box from the sub, so thinking the problem was that the sub had had too much abuse i went out an bought a nice new 1, fitted it in an everything expecting everything to be fine, only thers still no music coming from the sub, the front an rear speakers are fine and have nothing to do with the amp, ther is power coming to the amp.can anybody solve my problem? cheers

CMF_NotAnotherSSS

» CMF Member
damn i missed the sub smoking!

That sounds like you burnt out its voice coil. Almost certain that is caused by too much gain.

Check your amp for fault lights/fuses. THe old sub may have shorted out and blown the amp's fuse. Also check the wiring.

CMF_NISMO

» CMF Member
having payed a trip down to halfords his answer was 2 swap the amp, which he did so free of charge, reconnected it an still no tunes from the sub there is still power at the amp, so the fuses must be fine surely?other than that i have been told i may have knackerd my phono leads, although i am not sure how a phono lead could break.at least i have had a new amp for free so far.cheers for your help.
there was a very dodgy burning smell, i'v had 2 go and buy sum air freshner.

CMF_NISMO

» CMF Member
still no joy, hav new sub that wrks in my m8s car, new amp that deffinatly works. but im not getting any bass still, the only thing that it could be is the cables or the head unit, where am i likely 2 source my problem from the head unit and the cables?

CMF_Napster

» CMF Member
hi.
possible try disconnecting the rear speakers (looking into the boot on right hand side pull carpet away. then look to the left of the "REAR LIGHT". there should be a little box with 4wires out of them. pull out two going "horizontal" or a pair") then attach these two wires onto your amp terminals. just see if you get sound!!!

napster

CMF_NISMO

» CMF Member
hi, thanks for all your help, in the end i took it 2 swad ice and they found id blown the fuse on the feed cable, a small amount of power was getting to the amp from the blue cable from the head unit which was showin the amp 2 hav power, replaced that, got another brand new amp afta hhalfors gave me another faulty 1, fitted that an now we're away, cheers

Back