A lot of smoke

After spending the last hour or so messing around with getting the new exhaust on, I started the car and let it run up to temperature, but it seems to put putting out a lot of WHITE smoke, why is this?

Oil has been topped up
Radiator fluid has been topped up although the water looked rusty? (before topping up)

Help much appreciated as it needs MOTing asap

White means burning water. Did it smoke constantly? And was it doing it before the new exhaust?

There could be some excess water in the exhaust and its burning it out?

Perhaps the cold weather has caused it?

Also check for the usual headgasket failure signs...

Loss of water ( keep a close watch on that one), Overheating ( keep an eye on the temp guage)
and take the radiator cap off and check for bubbles.

Checked again

No bubbles
The hoses aren't solid
Still some smoke when idling but if I rev it it gets worse

And frank please dont say that I don't have the money for a new engine, unless someone wants to donate one

cars of the road at the moment and i dont know anyone with a tester.... if i can get it insured and taxed this week ill take it to the garage and get them to do it before/after MOT

If its been sitting it will be steaming out condenstation. My old Glanza steamed all the time unless you gave it a bit of a beating. Could you get pics up of the smoke, and does the smoke have any kind of smell to it?

during normal daily use mine always give off abit of steam irregardless of whether its stock/janspeed system or winter/summer. think at hot trackdays it goes away during heavy caning. prob normal since the cat converts some gases to water vapour condensing along the cooler pipes and me oil/water etc levels are perfect.

Put up a picture of the smoke cloud dude :laugh:
To me aside from the usual head gaskets, there is also the carb gasket to think about because if they fail then they'll be allowing coolant to be sucked into the manifold and thus the engine (this also gives you "mayo").
However remembering my old 1.0L engine, and the one in the white micra i have, it may just be that you're mixture is so spot on that it's churning out a lot of steam. Does it also dribble out of the exhaust as it idles?

The only other suspects are thinks like worn piston rings, or somebody filled up with diesel. But given that it's winter and very cold out there, it is pretty much the norm for a k10 to hide itself inside a big white cloud. If it runs nice then don't worry about it.

Think It's most likely just condensation. I had the same worry in my K10. There was a thread about it somewhere deep in the archives.

When my k11 super s sat round for about half a year it was the same, great clouds of white smoke, it is just condensation.

If it's been sitting around through the cold spell we've just had, alot of condensation will have settled in the exhaust system. Give it a decent rag and I reckon it'll clear up :).

its just the afterburner kicking in mate :grinning:

i'll keep an eye out for the flames :laugh:

If it's been sitting around through the cold spell we've just had, alot of condensation will have settled in the exhaust system. Give it a decent rag and I reckon it'll clear up :).

would but can't take it on the road yet :down:

whilst i think about it can you hear my alternator in the video? if so does it sound healthy cause it doesn't to me

good news the smoke doesn't smell of anything but well exhaust smoke so i'll give it a good rag over the weekend and see if anything changes

mine smopked more then that after sitting around for 6 months ,nothing to worry about, just give it a good rag to clear it.

If you think thats a lot of steam, you should have seen my ST with a cracked block, it actually made CLOUDS!!! and you couldnt see through them so i think that is fine :)

Not a great idea to thrash a car that's been stood for a long period of time. Just drive the little bu99er and don't worry about it, because it's not an issue, it's normal you moose.

No need to worry with a micra, they'll run forever because they're old school!!! Strong-arm-steady and built to last! Well the propper micras anyway, not that nissan ever made a pants micra (cough k12, k13) hhhrrumph, whoops excuse me :p

Not a great idea to thrash a car that's been stood for a long period of time. Just drive the little bu99er and don't worry about it, because it's not an issue, it's normal you moose.

Its choked up man,get it warm then thrash it that will sort it out

Mine smokes worse than that mate constantly!! Mine is quicker than my dads and it doesn't over heat, it's just the time of year cold times hot exhaust gases water vapour smoke!
If it ain't running rough or over heating it ain't broken

Doesn't help that I know very little about engines.... everything else I'm ok with just not engines :( although my alternator is really loud not sure if it's the belt or the actual alternator

If it's a squeal it's the belt if it's a constant grinding rumbling it'll be the alternator, check the belt isn't to loose or to tight should have a little bit of movement towards and away from you
The engines could literally run on gravel they are so hard to kill like the old mk3 fiesta pushrod engines, mine spat a piston through the side of the block and still continued running enough so I could drive it off the motorway

If it's a squeal it's the belt if it's a constant grinding rumbling it'll be the alternator, check the belt isn't to loose or to tight should have a little bit of movement towards and away from you
The engines could literally run on gravel they are so hard to kill like the old mk3 fiesta pushrod engines, mine spat a piston through the side of the block and still continued running enough so I could drive it off the motorway

They are strong engines but they're also old, the youngest examples are 18 years old by now. No matter how well maintained they are, the metal is still many years old. The way i see it is that, the k10 is an old car and should be treated right coz let's face it the numbers are getting fewer and finding good parts is getting to be a bit of a challange now. I don't think there's anything wrong with giving them a little tickle on the throttle when they're fully warmed up, but deliberately driving rough is just abuse. But that's my opinion and ultimately it's up to each and every owner as to how they wanna drive their own car.

Little bit of an update with this..... Smokes not as bad but still there, I put some paper up near the tailpipe and it got splattered with water and it does seem to be drinking coolant, I accidentally over filled it and now there's half in the expansion tank but there are no apparent leaks

Back