help needed: car keeps producing white smoke, a lot of it from exhaust?

L.Williams

soundcloud.com/lwilliamsmusic
i filled car with oil last night, is it possible i over filled? sometimes when driving, huge amounts of white smoke pours out of exhaust, and smells burny, and also it feels like it has lost power when the smoke comes out, but it runs fine, starts first time, sounds normal, and drives fine once the smoke has gone, did i over fill?

L.Williams said:
i filled car with oil last night, is it possible i over filled? sometimes when driving, huge amounts of white smoke pours out of exhaust, and smells burny, and also it feels like it has lost power when the smoke comes out, but it runs fine, starts first time, sounds normal, and drives fine once the smoke has gone, did i over fill?

What oil did you buy? Well if you overfill then it will be bad for your engine.
Before you refill so you should check with your oil stick. ( you will know what oil level you on)

if you overfill your engine with oil, then YES white smoke will come from the exhaust and alot of it which will also damage your engine!!!

check dipstick and release excess..

j

if you overfill your engine with oil, then YES white smoke will come from the exhaust and alot of it which will also damage your engine!!!

check dipstick and release excess..

j
okay thanks mate! taking it down garage tomorrow to release some from the sump tank

I thought when you burnt oil it came out with a blue tint?

And always thought white smoke was a HG problem?

But if the smoke stops then it can't be oil surely. Perhaps it was just condensation in the system?

Oil is blue smoke, how long you had this car? Are you sure it's not just because of the low temps and hot exhaust gases. Mines is steamy and coolant level is spot on

As skymera says check the cap but check the dipstick too as emulsified oil on the cap can just be from condensation and mistaken for h/g problems

As skymera says check the cap but check the dipstick too as emulsified oil on the cap can just be from condensation and mistaken for h/g problems
Well said Belly, I'm having this at the moment cos I'm doing less than 2 miles per day. Keep having to have a good run now n again to burn it off! :(

when i worked at BMW as a technician some woman came in with her car saying theres white smoke out of the exhaust, i checked the oil level and it was over done, i opened the oil cap and i couldnt even see the rockers as it was filled up with so much oil even there was oil being pushed out of the dipstick.. drained it and flushed it all out and car was normal again!! this happened a few times with other people!!! ALSO white smoke is another indicator of engine damage, i.e. water emulsification with oil, head gasket water gallery damage, check for water loss in the radiator..... if yes then..mmmmmmmmmm

just hope you messed up (but not too much) with over filling oil...

J

Back